Netflix: Sense8

YRBB

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I mean, it would never have gotten on-air anywhere else, let alone for two seasons with heavy promotion. That's worth commending.

I do think the budget was a huge issue, and I know The Get-Down had been a rolling (and expensive) disaster BTS since the beginning - cutting that I could understand. That said, I think cancelling both at once is a bad look. I suspect they may either reverse it or let the Wachowskis close out the story soon with another special. The social media movement re: the show is quite massive.

And no, I can't see their sitcoms being so expensive as to need cutting.

• Members

It's possible. They have been spending an exorbitant amount on Original shows, and Sense8 is a production that certainly spares no expense. It makes no sense that 13 REASONS WHY is getting another 13 goddamn reasons, while this is canceled. I know it was a huge, viral hit for them, but it's the type of typical move of a network.

Sense8 has been wonderfully diverse, inclusive, equal, groundbreaking in its depiction of LGBTQ+ and sexuality, and that's before you get to the great writing, acting, and directing. You'd think they would at least give it a chance to wrap up, like they did in the past with HEMLOCK GROVE and BLOODLINE. There is no reason why a streaming giant cancels shows left and right, leaving them unresolved, like a network. For most, they should provide an extended episode/shortened season.

I'm happy to see the cancellation is trending and people are PISSED. 

You should enjoy ODAAT because Hastings has made it clear he wants to cancel more.

True. That it even existed, much less the way it did, is remarkable.

Still...

Not to mention, they did this on the first day of Pride month. 

• Members

I was surprised they are still bringing it back even after there seem to have been several teens who attempted suicide after watching the show. It makes me wonder if beyond Fuller House there are very original shows they make that really get a lot of heavy viewing that they will need to keep themselves going, and if that show is one of the few. 

My parents love Grace and Frankie, although I imagine that will be winding down in a year or two anyway. 

I have only watched this a few times (Sense8) but it was nice to see happy gay couples, and to see actors like Freema Agyeman put to work. 

Of course I guess as Vee said, we should be surprised something like this show was made at all. It's just a bit sad because so many groups feel under attack in America right now and now they have one less outlet and way to see themselves represented. 

• Members

The thing is it wouldn't be such a big issue if the 'alternative platforms' were as amenable to diversity (as they constantly claim to be) than traditional networks but they aren't.

It's not about money because the same thing is happening on 'mainstream' networks (including the major news outlets).

As always it's about reminding marginalized groups they're expendable.

• Members

Prior to the last year & a half Netflix biggest claim to fame in terms of diversity was OITNB.

The majority of the recent high profile 'diverse' offerings have come from Oprah & Tyler on OWN, Shonda, Kenya Barris, Nahnatchka Khan & John Ridley on ABC, Dan Fogelman, Justin Spitzer, and Jerrod Carmichael on NBC, Misha Green & Joe Pokaski on WGN, Greg Berlanti on the CW, Lee, Todd Harthan & Ryan Murphy on Fox and Courtney Kemp and Mike O'Malley on Starz with recent additions from Donald Glover (FX) & Issa Rae (HBO).

• Members

Yeah, the occasional black sitcom is not an actual widespread commitment by a non-premium cable network (aside from ABC, which just cancelled American Crime). Nor do Glover or Rae's single shows amount to a real commitment by HBO or FX.

So, putting those aside and looking at the fact that the rest of your actual laundry list is not only based in the past but also includes a variety of cancelled shows or sitcoms, or worse, Ryan Murphy and Greg Berlanti teen dramas - you're just naming literally any show you can find with random people of color on it (doing anything) so you can dog on streaming. Got it.

Listen, it's okay if you just want to do that thing where you come in, talk about a problem and avoid discussing a solution or accepting that there is any kind of middle ground or nuance. It's cool, that's what you do because you cannot accept losing any argument. But please don't pretend we both don't know what the actual TV landscape looks like. I'm not going to waste my time on this. You can even have the last word if you want. Go nuts.

• Members

Actually that's not what I'm doing. Nor has it ever been.

I was actually engaging you with the intention of having a relatively mature discussion.

But since you, in all your usual aggrieved know it all white maleness, feels the need to be insulting and gross it's probably best you do exit the conversation now.

• Members

Looper did a nice job of pulling together a lot of the challenges facing Sense8.

The real reason Sense8 was canceled.

I have to admit that I wasn't really surprised because the show is clearly enormously expensive and the logistics in production must've been a nightmare. I'm showing my age here but it reminds me of the cancellation of the original "V" series. It was popular but it just cost too damn much. 

Archived