Netflix: Sense8

YRBB

• Members

I could have sworn there was a thread for this beautiful, amazing show, but I guess not.

Please register in order to view this content

Anyway, the 2-hour Christmas Special debuts December 23! Lana W calls it the first episode of Season 2, and it's perfection:

And a message from Lana W

SEASON 2 arrives May 05, with 10 episodes. CANNOT WAIT.

If you haven't seen this & are thinking about it, DO IT. It pays off so beautifully as it builds throughout the season.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you'd like it.  What I found initially so refreshing was how it dealt with gay (and trans) issues so organically (well, except for one heavy handed scene in one of the early episodes).  Lana Wachowski has said how it was amazing working with Netflix because, despite their success, when working with movie studios they were always told not to address such issues (ironic since their breakthrough, before The Matrix, was the lesbian caper film Bound).  But I grew to just love the characters and also how well they mix the various styles they are using (telenovela, Chicago cop show, Bollywood, Scandinavian conspiracy thriller, etc).  I think you'd like it!

• Members

The Christmas special is out! Watching it today/tonight!

I was so excited with the announcement and hearing she liked AMC made me even more excited.

Hahaha thanks, right back at ya!

I don't want to damn it with praise, but I fell in love with the characters so much about halfway through. And that's only part of why it's so great. Really something you need in your life!

I love it for the same reasons. And not enough is said about how they film in real life locations for all stories. Adds so much to it.

Christmas Special here I come!

• Members

I saw a bit of it. That Lito and Hernando must be one of the hottest gay couples I can remember on a TV show. I also can't help being amused that the show responded to the hoo-ha from some about how the psychic cluster friend orgy was some type of bias against lesbians or gay men or trans people or whatever by having an even more blatant orgy this time around. It was strange seeing Martha Jones in sex scenes though, as it was the last time around. I kept waiting for her mother to appear, scowling as ever. 

• Members

Oh, yes, I think the first 3-4 episodes or so are needed to fully get the scope and for things to start to pay off. The creators have even spoken about how it's a very non-traditional pilot in the sense that it's not designed to hook you & explain everything/set up everything right away. After that, it took off for me and everyone else I've spoken to. Keep going, boo!

• Members

At first, the show did not really "grab" me either, but friends kept telling me to stick with it, and it does pay off as the season progresses. I recently watched the Christmas special, and that was really great. I'm glad I made the effort with this series.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY'VE CANCELED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Between this and the Getdown I wonder if they're having money problems from all the more experimental fare - I was surprised as I thought the W sisters might have been able to keep this going (aren't they very rich?). Maybe Netflix is putting more money into their superhero shows and teen angst shows (like that suicide one so many teenagers love?)

This is why I never really got on the peak TV, cable and the networks are a thing of the past, etc. train, as all trends have to fade at some point. 

This tells me One Day at a Time will probably just have a second season as well (they were renewed right?) so I'd better enjoy it while it airs. 

Archived