Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, I agree with you. But this generation of soap writers will need the benefit of Kay Alden's experience as long as she's willing to give it. 

No one, not even Kay Alden, will be Bill Bell, or Agnes Nixon, or Irna Phillips. But she's the closest we have and she's the closest to old-school soap we'll ever come to again.

Hopefully, Sussman and Alden are not only righting the ship, they're doing what they can to ensure the ship keeps on the right way.

And this is coming from someone who grew up on the P&G soaps and has only read about the Bell soaps, with occasional sojourns when the stories interested me.

• Members

This much has been well established. Jabot indeed is a large company competing with the big guns (which Newman was part of). It was expensive enough to warrant the possible introduction of a cheaper/reduced price line of products. It always came off as quality, luxury cosmetics.

It's basically a major city with several skyscrapers and large enough to house at least FOUR major businesses. It may have started off as a smaller town.

• Members

Right, although I suspect they know at least *some* fans know what her name means to the show.  (I checked, and The City did give Agnes Nixon a story consultant credit--although that was back when the writing credits only aired on some episodes and they just scrolled by in the end credits).

Soapsuds--Interesting--do you remember if any of those consultants were big names?  For the most part it seems that the networks didn't make a big point of letting people know about their story consultants--or give them credit, though that may have been their choice (otherwise, for example, Agnes Nixon would have had a story consultant credit for much of AMC--but since she admitted that often they didn't listen to her ideas, maybe she didn't want her name there

Please register in order to view this content

)

• Members

BTW - It's brilliant to use TB to launch the first new story for this regime. Not only is she extremely popular, but TB can pretty much play every angle from corporate to emotional. Additionally, Lauren has ties family or business with nearly every relevant character on canvas. I was in hiatus when Chelsea launched through Boutique so that was interesting and extremely well written - ❤️ Chloe 'what's in it for us' TB trying to convey Lauren's confidence while knowing she's desperate for a 'win.'  TB presence has really been missed. I hope it sticks. 

• Members

Yeah, Tracey Bregman (like she always is) has been great in the start of Lauren's struggling business storyline. She's playing it perfectly.

Mishael Morgan has been a great find for this show and I trust Sussman with Hillary, but I don't know why everyone's so gungho on Hillary and Mariah hating each other? Granted, I didn't watch all of the time but, for me, it would have made more sense for them to be friends than rivals. It's kind of one of the parts not working for me. Maybe it will on Monday. I just think it's kind of lame at this point to have women be rivals, especially when Mariah came on a bit shady in the beginning. But it makes sense at this point, with the way Hillary has treated her, that they'd not like one another, but I think they'd be better served doing other things. It feels a bit forced, unless someone can give me some better clarity. Is it simply because the actresses can handle it?

And to another poster who said Mariah is taking Hillary's life. Well, sort of, but she's not deliberately stealing Hillary's life on purpose. It's being given to her. That makes Hillary look like a jealous bitch. Mariah didn't run to Devon and beg to host GC Buzz. She's not panting after Devon ...

• Members

Well...good points lol.  There has been no great history between Mariah and Hilary and they really just started interacting because of GC Buzz.  I don't recall anything significant between them until that.

For me personally, the rivalry interests me primarily to see what MM and CG do with it.  "Hate" might be too strong of a word for what I'm looking for between them.  

You make a good point, and a few of us have commented on the fact Hilary doesn't really have any female friends to turn to.  She needs that.  I do think that maybe, over time, that person could be Mariah if the story is allowed to develop.  OTOH, Summer being in Hilary's corner would only get under Mariahs skin even more.  

Just my two cents.

• Members

Hilary/Mariah. I was just so happy that these two talents shared scenes together, it didn't matter what it was. MM is a star and I hope she gets great material. CG was neglected until they wisely reunited her with SC, but she needs her own stories with other younger actors. CG is that rare actor who seems to bring out the best in her screen partners (JM and EB are two of the best examples.) Pratt didn't leave much for the new writers with which to work. 

BTW - Do you think the new regime is ignoring that P3 is alive? Didn't Jill say something like Jack is your only brother! What???? 

• Members

Yes, bringing GC back and hiring Mishael Morgan are two great things JFP did.

I do wonder if they're going to turn Mariah into some weird Cassie/Mariah hybrid. The fact that Mariah has overwhelmingly been accepted by the audience is a testament to what an ultimately terrible decision it was to kill Cassie and how nothing good came out of it. It's also a testament to what an asset GC continues to be to this show, and how they really need to tap into that potential. 

When Mariah told Sharon how everything she did was out of love this week, I couldn't help but think Cassie would be having that exact conversation with Sharon had she been alive...

• Members

So glad they skipped that custody nonsense and the new PTB have started to write the characters properly. Nikki/Victor in two days were more likable than either have been in at least eight years.  Jason Thompson as Billy is much better with these writers.

Cane is completely unnecessary and can go the way of Stitch.

Seeing TEB written by these writers...

Camryn Grimes is finally getting a non-Kevin story!  She's been a talk-to for too long. 

Actually pumped to watch Monday!

• Members

There is nothing unique about Mariah versus Hilary. it's the beautiful, glamorous, intelligent, perfect, mean popular girl versus the down to earth, average looking, big hearted girl next door. I've seen this story a thousand times before. It's common trope in every genre. We know the end result. The mean girl loses all to girl next door. The man, the job, the social standing, and popularity. I see how this benefits Mariah. I don't see how this story does a damn thing for Hilary but make her hated even more. it's designed for that. And I resent the hell out of the show for it. 

The only thing Hilary probably isn't in jeopardy of losing is Devon. He has the color barrier keeping him from being Mariah'a prize. I figure that's why the show 

That's who they will fight over. Wonder where that will leave Devon. Maybe 

To keep devon occupied while Hilary plays loser to Mariah's big rom com story. I do not like this move  I have no interest in watching Hilary play second banana to Mariah. 

Archived