Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think it's pretty incredible that they've managed to keep Ashley's paternity a secret between two characters for 30 years. And it doesn't need to come out because it wouldn't serve any longterm story. But I liked it's use to here because clearly it's had an impact on Ashley's identity.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thibk jack and phyllis need a breather as a couple...nit only did she cheat in him...but with his half brother.  That isnt somrthing that can be forgiven...at least in the near future.  both characters need to be repaired before being put back together.

Sharon needs a total revamp...one im hoping SSM and KA can do..  I will say Altman was in the right track but then deviated for some odd reason.

Hilary vs Mariah could be interesting...neither are painted ad all good or all bad...so I hope a reasonable feud can be developed....oh and Jill and hilary need to cross paths again.  Another thing Altman did that was cut short.

• Members

I didn't think either Phyllis really fit with Jack, but if I were a fan of the couple I would see today as potentially positive.  I believe the last regime planned to put them right back together using the idea that Phyllis was just too tenacious to let go and Jack was too weak to resist. It was incredibly false and insulting. Jack was coming of as someone with no self esteem whatsoever.  If cheating with a person's brother only causes a break up of a few months, soaps just aren't about much. That is a huge betrayal and it is not the first time Phyllis destroyed one of Jack's close relationships by cheating.

Now there can be a true reset. If the show wants to put them back together it should take well over a year and we need to see real change and growth. Let them work their was back together and if you can get the audience to root for that, so be it.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the last couple of episodes. Add me to the people who would love nothing more than to see Traci back as the show's matriarch. It's just not a role that Nikki or Jill can fill.

• Members

Good show!

Please register in order to view this content

I agree that they are likely trying to catch up anyone who started watching in the last 10 to even 12 years on who these characters really are, their dynamics, histories and pasts. I feel like anyone who watched the last two episodes should have a much better understanding of these relationships and what motivates these people now.

Traci and Billy decorating the tree and Ashley and Traci hugging were really nice.

Victor made me laugh out loud!!! "Ooooooh, we'll have a bonfire!" and when he said he didn't like any of Victoria's men. I never thought that would happen again. And surprising Nikki with a romantic trip was CLASSIC Victor. Those Nikki/Victor scenes were like something directly out of 1999, including MTS & EB's acting, mannerisms, etc. 

I'm glad they jumped into Lauren's new story right away. She didn't annoy me once in the entire episode.

That was a great goodbye scene between Jack and Phyllis. Jack walking out the door as you see Phyllis in the background and then Phyllis slowly turning her head as she cried was very Y&R. All we were missing was the Executive Producer title card at the end.

• Members

Its no secret Peter is significantly older than Gina, but I think they work.  Not unrealistic at all.  Hell, one of my fav Daytime pairings ever was Cal and Connor from ATWT.  Never would have fathomed that pairing, but I loved them.  It worked.  

Is this the first time you've seen an older man with a younger wife on a soap?  

• Members

I floved Connor but never cared for her with Cal. This is a strong independent business savvy woman who could have any man and she chose Cal of all people???

I am trying to think of an older man/younger wife couple I liked...maybe John and Jill ....but thats about it.

• Members

The last two days have been incredible.  INCREDIBLE.

Like most here, I have loved having Traci back.  Beth M. brings so much heart to this show and I can't help but wonder if SSM and KA will revisit Colleen's and Brad's deaths.  BM would bring it.  

There's something that clicked for me these two days with Jason Thompson's Billy today.  Not sure why, but he is growing on me.  He and Beth...magic.

I was surprised to see Ashley and Victor together today, actually talking.  Loved it.  Loved old school Nikki/Victor.  Ashley's mention of her paternity to Jack felt right to me, I don't think it was overkill.  It fit with Jacks proclamations to Billy he was no longer an Abbot.  It made sense to me that she would bring that up.

There are no complaints from me.  I even like the transitions/flashback work.  The show feels cohesive.  

The ranch set looked softer today.  Did they embellish the fireplace with some scroll work?  It was very modern, clean straight lines if I remember correctly.  And the camera work, although Mal had improved a lot of that when he took the reins, is another improvement.  Most every table has flowers now too :-)

I'm done gushing.  Y&R is back on my dvr.

Archived