What character was a favorite of yours until the actor playing the role ruined it for you?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Emily ATWT - I accepted KMH Emily at times, but I never felt the close bond that I felt with Melanie Smith. 

Blake GL - again, I adored Sherry Stringfield's Blake. It took about 4 years for me to even tolerate Liz Keifer's Blake (her herculean work in that awful "twins by different fathers" mess turned my opinion around) 

Billy GL - worst recast ever! Awful! Awful!!!!!!!

Alexandra GL - I grew to enjoy Marj Dusay after several years (oddly enough due to her comedy pairing with Hawk), but Beverlee was just in another realm 

Siobhan RH - Sarah Felder was lightning in a bottle. Incomparable. She got to my heart. Ann Gillespie was basically a beach babe who was out of her depth, although she had her moments. 

Pat RH - I loved John Blazo. Sensitive, warm, funny...different. And so gorgeous. Then he was replaced by a roid rage Peter Brady. [!@#$%^&*] BULLSHIT. That is all I have to say. 

• Members

Michelle GL - I adored Rachel Miner. I grew to accept Rebecca Budig (even if she was too old for the role and very butch), and liked Joie Lenz, but I detested Nancy St. Alban. A prissy, vacuous, asexual, sanctimonious bore. I'll never forget when they had her fighting for custody of her child against a man who was in the mob and I was rooting for her husband 100%...a mobster who had had a SHOOTOUT IN THE BAUER KITCHEN!!! She was JUST THAT BAD. 

• Members

B&B - Ridge when Thorsten took over. 

Y&R - Victoria when AH came aboard, Ryan Brown and Scott Seymour as Billy, and since I grew to like Lily when Davetta Sherwood took over the role, does CK's return count? And I guess MS as Sheila, even though I think most of us agree that was really Sugar. 

• Members

An example I have that doesn't involve a recast is probably GL's Harley circa late 2005 to 2008. Granted the writing for the character became dreadful but Beth Ehlers also gave some terrible performances on top of having a nasty off-set persona. By the time Ehlers quit I was more than happy to see Harley off the screen. 

Recast examples are Victoria Y&R, Craig ATWT(Jeffery Quinn and Jon Lindstrom), Lily, Molly, Lucy all ATWT, and Shari Shattuck's Ashley Y&R

• Members

Amelie Heinle as Victoria Newman. She's just never became the Victoria I loved and adored. I found her to be abysmal and still do. She's too whiny, codependent, and stupid to be the daughter of Nikki/Victor. 

Michael Muhney as Adam Newman. While he put in some good performances, I'll always prefer Chris Engen's Adam. MM could be too hammy and mustache twirling at times. 

Jodi O'Keefe/Lisa Brenner as Maggie Cory. I just never bought them as Maggie. They gave them a total personality transplant from Robyn Griggs' Maggie. 

Michael Dietz/Michael Dempsey as Alan-Michael Spaulding. They just did not have the boyish charm/dark prince aura that Ric Hearst (my Alan-Michael) exuded. Dietz's AM was dull and Dempsey's AM came off creepy. 

Christel Khalil as Lily Winters. Yes, she is the original but I still prefer Davetta's Lily over hers. Point. Blank. Period. 

Roger Howarth as Paul Ryan. Sorry, I just felt he was playing Todd on ATWT. 

Nancy St. Alban as Michelle Bauer. Rachel Miner & Joie B. Lenz will alway be the only actresses I loved as Michelle. 

• Members

Kirsten Storms as Maxie, GH - I still lament Robyn Richards being recast in the first place. Anemic mouse, some good performances notwithstanding, keeps that fire burning consistently. It would be like if DAYS never realized their mistake regarding Christie Clark/Tracy Middendorf. A colossal WTF?

Judith Chapman, Gloria, YR - Joan van Ark was so great in the role, and then we got stuck with bug eyes. What a steep drop in quality.

• Members

Unpopular...I read posts about ATWT way back.  They don't remember or think of Betsy as being Meg Ryan.  People like Lindsey Frost (sp?) but she was no Betsy to me.  There was only one - Meg Ryan.  Just like Jess Walton was never Jill to me nor has she been, nor was Peter Bergman Jack to me.  I go way back - I understand it now.  Betsy was Meg Ryan, Jack was Terry Lester, and Jill was Brenda Dickson.  Lily's recast on ATWT was awful - Heather Rattray???  How that happened I'll never know. Martha Byrne was Lily.

• Members

A tie for me, both from As The World Turns:

Scott Holroyd was perfect as Paul Ryan, torn between doing the right thing and having the devil himself as a father. Any subtle nuances went out the window when godawful Roger Howarth took over the role. RH had two techniques...the blank stare and the sputtering explosion. 

Scott Bryce WAS Craig Montgomery. He took the character from absolute villain (the Betsy days) to show's hero (the Sierra days) , and everything in between. Even when he almost poisoned Meg's unborn baby, you almost felt sorry for him...that's the mark of a good actor! When Hunt Block took over the role, no scenery on the set was safe from chewing. He was the hammiest actor I've ever seen. He could do sarcasm very well, but nothing else. But as bad as HB was, at least he could be humorous. When Jon Lindstrom became Craig, he commited the unpardonable sin of making the character boring.  

Archived