Claire Labine Passes Away

• Members

I didn't know that she had divorced...or, most surprisingly of all, left NY/Brooklyn.  She and her ex-husband were evidently still together when the Times ran this article, years after she last worked in the industry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/04/garden/house-proud-the-6-month-makeover-36-years-later.html

I hope her final years were happy, whatever happened there.  I know Michele Val Jean wrote the script, but I always associated that "every moment of my life, whether born of pain or sorrow, has the potential for grace realized" quote with Claire as well — I choose to believe she continued to find the joy that always shone through in her writing, until the end.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm only now seeing this thread and reading the news. 2016 has been a rough year, with so many actors and behind-the-scenes creative people whose work I've enjoyed dying.

RH was, and still is, one of the best shows ever in daytime. Particularly those 1st 5+ years when Claire & co-creator Paul Avila Mayer were producing and writing it (with the late Lela Swift directing most of the episodes), before ABC decided to fire the pair, bring them back, fire them, bring them back, etc. I'm glad she was able to go back one more time and help write the final years and especially the final episode. It would have been unfortunate to conclude it with an episode written by anyone else. While not every story or character was a winner, she was one of the best at writing moments. Moments where the conversational dialogue seemed so natural and true to life that you'd think you were eavesdropping on real people having a real conversation. At the same time, she could surprise with some insane, outrageous tales, such as that of a man sending his wife over a waterfall at the behest of a ghostly image, or an homage to King Kong. Nutty stuff thrown in amidst the realism, and it all seemed to work. I wish I could see more of the 1983 episodes which Soapnet never aired, as well as her final return. What little I've seen, I've liked. At least I still have my recordings of all the episodes that Soapnet did air (which covered 1975 thru 1981). It's been awhile, but maybe now is a good time to rewatch some of it.

Archived