Claire Labine Passes Away

• Members

I first watched her GL stuff as a pre-teen, stuff like Jim Lemay's death. I think she did what she could there with what she had.

I really love the work she did with Monica's breast cancer story on GH. I watched a lot of it on YouTube a few years ago and loved it.

That said, I didn't need her creating Tea on OLTL. But no one is perfect.

RIP.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks to the soap gods on YouTube, I have been rewatching a lot of her GH material.  Lots of great stories, but she and her team knew how to build to and from amazing moments.

Her work on GH moved me, and made me care deeply about the show.

sad news for her family and friends.  And her fans.

• Members

This is a huge loss. Her GH was a cornerstone of my teen years. Her embrace of relationships between people (not just romantic ones, although she wrote romance achingly beautifully), all grounded in reality, gave her work an impact that other shows lacked. When things happened, you knew there was no going back. Events were as meaningful and as brutal as they are in real life.

I also loved how distinctive her work was. Writers like her marked their territory and remained true to themselves, while also bending themselves to the rules of soap opera and the history of their show. They weren't trying to copy each other or be as generic as possible. Claire was a mold-breaker and a leader in the genre, not a copier.

I will always regret the way Daytime rejected her and other greats (like Kay Alden) without a flicker of emotion. The fact that certain writers on the Daytime scene are STILL gainfully employed for the past 16 years while Claire Labine was not is crazy to me. Absolutely crazy.

• Webmaster

ABC Statement on Labine's Passing:

"We are sad to learn of the death of our friend and former colleague Claire Labine. As creator of Ryan's Hope and head writer of both General Hospital and One Life to Live in the 90s, Claire was an imaginative storyteller who inspired hope and sparked conversations through her stories and characters paving the way for a new generation of writers who would follow in her footsteps. We are proud and honored she was a part of our ABC Daytime family. We send our deepest condolences to her family and those closest to her."

• Members

So sad to hear of her passing! My first experience with her was at GL it was messy but had some good bits but I can probably blame it on Rauch and MADD at the time interfering. Then I caught RH reruns on SoapNet and was bedazzled. I understood why she was considered one of the soap greats! I felt so bad for her when she appeared on Soap Talk in 2004 and started crying talking about RH and the characters she truly loved the show. May she rest in peace. 

Archived