NETFLIX: The Crown

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The casting for Camila (Shand) Parker-Bowles was very generous. No offense, but Camila was never as cute as the actress portraying her, I've seen photographs when Camila was younger.

But the casting for young Princess Anne is ingenious! The actress is quite a find.  I've seen interviews with Anne as a young woman and this actress is spot on in her interpretation.

Olivia Colman and Helena Bonham Carter are as great as you'd expect two actresses of their caliber to be.

One of the aspects that really caught my attention was the use of music cues, which was excellent.  In a way, it sort of reminded me of when soaps were really good at creating original music for scenes and certain pieces became identifiable for a certain mood.  What The Crown did that took it even further is that there would be a piece of music that would give an air of foreboding or dread and just when you start to believe that you know when it will be used next, that same piece of music might be used in an entirely different context during a scene that is hopeful.  The use of music cues during this season was top drawer.

• Members

@DramatistDreamer Yes, Erin Doherty as Princess Anne was quite the find. Best character of the season IMO.

I'll put this in spoiler tags just in case there's anyone who doesn't know about the following historical events or who has not completed the season (plus I've added my own speculation on what the first episode of season 4 could be):

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

My guess is that the event that you described will happen in Season 4.  From what I've observed and in reading articles, The Crown doesn't always put events in exact chronological order.  That event is too dramatic not to be included.

I think it's likely that there will be more on that character in the next season, as well as the introduction of a new character (who I think we all know who she will be) in Season 4.

I was surprised at how they raced through years in this season's episodes but like I've said, the show has been known to 'reorder' the sequence/chronological order of events for dramatic purposes.  Using  a bit of 'dramatic license', if you will.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm glad to hear it. 

I imagine Season 6 will end in 2002 with

Please register in order to view this content

as that is likely the natural bookend that's long ago that history can have some appreciation for it, but not too distant in the past that it leaves the series feeling incomplete.

I am very interested to see who will be cast as Sarah Ferguson. She is a particularly fascinating character to me and while I imagine she will only appear in a few episodes in seasons, either late in season 4 or in seasons 5 and 6, but I hope Peter Morgan gives her some attention as she intersected between Diana, Andrew, Philip, The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret, as well as Her Majesty, quite a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...