NETFLIX: The Crown

• Members

She (and John Lithgow) got the accolades that drew attention to the show, and he didn’t. It’s possible they had her on a contract she couldn’t renegotiate since they only signed on for a couple seasons before handing things over to Olivia Colman et al.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I guess I wonder how much accolades are worth in terms of what generates revenue for Netflix. I heard a lot of hype in season 1 but season 2 I mostly saw people talking about historical inaccuracies, that there was much more focus on Philip than Elizabeth, etc. 

• Members

Make no mistake, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu crave accolades.  Accolades means greater legitimacy, greater legitimacy draws in more top level talent.

There was a time in the recent past where Scorcese would've balked at working with a streamer . He now has a project in the works with Netflix.

I must be the only person on earth who knew of Claire Foy but not Matt Smith before The Crown. 

Yeah,  I get it...Dr. Who and all that but there is literally no show without the Queen.  A tough agent would likely have driven home the point, especially after the first season.  

Also, if you look at most of the promotional material for Season1, it is mostly Foy's face on the promos.

As for what inaccuracies there were in the script or onscreen (Downton Abbey had this problem as well), that has nothing to do with the actors' performances, that is a production-related matter.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Totally. And it’s certainly not a good look right now, especially when your average viewer doesn’t see the behind-the-scenes economics (and in film, the big-money investors) that influence all the decision-making. All people read is, “Female star makes less money than her male supporting actor.” Which IS sort of bonkers on the face of it.

I have no idea what kind of deal they signed, though. If Netflix committed to two seasons upfront, Claire may not have had a chance to renegotiate. She certainly has come out of the show as a VERY valuable and sought-after commodity. So has Matt, but not nearly as much.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

According to sources, neither of the actors were aware of what the other was being paid.

JMO but Claire Foy should be paid a commensurate salary retroactively, at the very least for Season 2 where her image was consistently used (more than anyone else's) in all the promotional materials for the show. Honestly, her salary should've been equal to his in Season 1 (he may have been in Dr. Who but she's the bloody Queen!) and she should've made more than he in Season 2 because her acting award added to the show's critical acclaim.

• Members

The producers never should have made this public, embarrassing their cast. Salary is just not something they should be discussing. But if anything should be done to remedy it after the fact, I agree that Claire Foy should get a check. Matt Smith shouldn’t be shamed because of this. I get that protests often work better when they target the most public figures, but he and his agents did nothing wrong.

• Members

Finally started this last night (first two episodes) and it. is. glorious!!

They even made me cry an episode and a half into a new show, with characters we barely know.

Amazingly produced, wonderfully acted. And Matt Smith's bum on constant display! What's there not to like?

• Members

I guess it shows how much acclaim is worth in profit that they won't pay her money but will go to the press to either head off a story or try to look good. 

And now Matt Smith is expected to pay her money for something he had no involvement in. This type of thing, if it goes on too much, is likely to lead to lawsuits over spilling contractual details. 

Considering how many people throw around money for various crowdfunding gestures, maybe they should just raise the money for Claire Foy themselves. 

I also see from Claire Foy's comments that she did not ask for any of this to become a public issue. This is something which will likely be an issue for her career as well as Smith's.

If they were not approached first, then the company's tub-thumping about how much they now care about women and equality rings very hollow indeed.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I'm so glad you're enjoying it - I've rewatched it several times. I have what I'd consider a very good knowledge of the Royal Family (given that The Queen is my Queen it's only right that I should)...and this show has just made me respect and revere her more than ever. 

It also provided me with a greater understanding of Princess Margaret and how she wound up in the position that she did at the end of her life. 

• Members

I really am. I've done a couple more episodes since, and it continues to stun. The fog episode had me gasping for air!

Please register in order to view this content

Really cool that it's providing you with a greater understanding of events and history you already know. I think that's fascinating and a tough thing to pull off.

• Members

It's not just about acclaim, they literally used her image in every single one of their promotional ads for the show.  Even when her co-stars were in promos, she was featured alongside them in addition to ads that featured her alone.

I don't agree with the idea that Smith should somehow donate/refund the difference in salary but the production company should pay Foy commensurate to her value to the show, a helluva lot since any show about the British crown in the 20th and 21st century simply could never place without Queen. 

In fact, critical acclaim mattered a great deal to this company and Netflix because once Claire Foy won her acting awards (she won more than one), Netflix and the production company doubled-down on using her image to promote the show.

Pay the lady what she's worth.

And since it was the production company who decided to "let the cat out of the bag", not Netflix (or anyone else), the responsibility to fix this should rest with the production company.