Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To be honest, I thought the Shapiros' original vision for DYNASTY (of the rich Carringtons versus the blue-collar Blaisdels) was fine.  IMO, what let the show down during that first season was subpar writing mixed with some questionable casting choices.  (Evans, Forsythe, PSM, Al Corley, Pamela Bellwood were all fine.  Bo Hopkins, Katy Kurtzman and Dale Robertson?  Not so much.)  If I (reluctantly) were the one rebooting/reviving/reimagining DYNASTY, I would bear those two things in mind.  Otherwise, I would adhere to the series' original, pre-Alexis themes, and maybe play up a certain rivalry between Fallon and Lindsay Blaisdel (who would, of course, be aged up to become Fallon's contemporary) in order to bring in the desired demographic.

• Members

IA with you. It felt more grounded, and BH did a fine job in that early run. when he was brought back they made him out and out crazy. plus, the main cast had what...53 people in it? when the opening credits are longer than the actual episode.....

• Members

Are you referring to the first season only, or the entire series? The first season had a main cast of 9 - Dallas and Knots Landing both began with 8.

In regards to the entire series, all of the primetime soaps had huge casts. Dynasty was the only one that made it a point to credit every regular, recurring, and major guest characters in the opening credits. The others had no problem crediting significant recurring characters at the closing or under the first act of the show. Mary Crosby literally shot JR and was never more than an "Also Starring," but on Dynasty, she would have had her own innuendo-laden spot in the opening.

• Members

Claudia, I feel, is so underrated as a character. Pamela Bellwood acted the crap out of that and Claudia certainly deserved better than the blaze of glory and the complete shrug off of "she wouldn't want a funeral" - writers, we followed Clauda's life for six seasons! Don't you think she deserved a funeral? But the writing in season seven was so schizophrenic anyway so maybe it was for the best...

The Blaisdels seems to have been nixed from this reboot though.

That story wouldn't have been *so* bad if at least Claudia was still there - it's like, where's the payoff? Matthew returns, he's magically managed to become a guerilla leader, oh and Lindsay's dead. Then so what? He kidnaps them all and Steven shoots him. Oh.

The pointlessness of the storyline is hard to take, even if Dynasty was written by children with ADD at that point.

Edited by te.

• Members

The Matthew return was bad, but hardly the worst thing to happen. The crazy writing started in season three and just got progessively worse until things finally improved during the final season. I truly don't believe there was one well executed story between seasons 3-8. You had a collection of interesting and fun scenes and catfights and larger than life characters, but the stories made no sense. For me Dynasty is seasons 1-2, 9 and The Colbys (which was MILES better than given credit for). 

My feelings on Dynasty are probably why I'm not so up in arms about this reboot. Dynasty along with Falcon Crest both stand to gain the most from a reboot because they weren't that great to begin with. Falcon Crest was certainly much better, but still all over the map at times and was VERY plot driven. The changes I'm seeing to Dynasty are in line with a remake, not a reboot and that's fine. They can add new characters, omit others and change things if they want. If Psycho taught us anything is that there is no point in a shot-by-shot reboot. I'm going to be interested until they give me a reason not to be. So far the cast is shaping up nicely and I look forward to seeing where they film and things of that nature.