Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• Members

There have been a few moments where Nicholette can play serious, but I think it is good that Alexis is different in this show.  Cristal is different (and so inferior to the superior Krystle).. and Sam is inferior to the perfection that was Sammy Jo... so of course, Alexis will be different (so far I'm rooting for her against Fallon and Cristal).

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What a cliffhanger.....LOL....it was all over the place ....a lot happened from a fire, a wedding, a catfight and a shooting. I was LOL as Cristal and Alexis had an outright catfight while Steven and Sami Jo walked down the aisle and got married while Pat Benatar's 80's hit We Belong was in full blast in the background....LMAO......then the shooting which everyone heard but no one did anything about it but Alexis to the fire.....

I wonder if the actor who plays Steven will be back? Maybe his face gets burned in the fire and they recast? A la 80's Dynasty?? I am not liking this Steven anyways or Sami Jo......both suck.

It took me a long time to figure out who was who since I haven't kept up.

Btw....I thought fake Adam would've been a great Luke Fuller recast.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Watching on Netflix.  Not the horrible crap I initially thought it would be.  I'm impressed with Fallon, especially.  Love the diverse cast.  

I do, however, think Steven is miscast and the guy who plays Sami Jo bored me on Empire and now Dynasty.  He's terrible!  

• Members

Fallon is a true b!tch!

And yes to both Steven and Sami Jo........Steven has been miscast from day 1 and the actor playing Sami Jo is way over the top...and downright awful.

Oops and I forgot to mention Kirby is back but we didn't see her face and some woman showed up at the wedding and told Steven she was carrying his baby.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

When Heather Locklear set the bar at a high level playing Sammy Jo... the modern day version would pale in comparison.. and boy, he does.  

Oddly, Nicolette has been quite good blending Paige and Edie into Alexis.  She's cold like Paige, yet sarcastic and a great shade thrower like Edie... just wish she dressed more like Paige then Edie as Alexis LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think a lot of people confuse Alexis with what she was in season 2 and what she eventually became (basically The Empress of the Universe) - she wasn't rich in season 2 of Dynasty. It was pretty clear that Blake paid enough to keep her away, but certainly not enough for her to get lawyers and go after custody. We're also unclear what original Alexis did in Europe - there's this terrific scene on original Dynasty where Joseph has kept a scrapbook; obviously referring to her misadventures in Europe (which tends to be treated like one big country). We know this Alexis at one point tried to launch a make-up brand under the Carrington name, prompting Blake to trademark the name Carrington to stop her. This Alexis also took one big pay out rather than getting monthly checks.

In all honesty, I find the FakeAdam business way nastier than anything past Alexis did - yes, Alexis shot that gun and threw Krystle off the horse, but it was a spur of the moment thing and not premeditated like the FakeAdam business. I think they needed Alexis to go and try to save Cristal, otherwise she'd just be too nasty - it's like how Donna refused to have Abby actually being directly responsible for Val's babies being kidnapped. Wisely she knew it'd write Abby into a corner, I feel that what the writers felt at that point (plus they needed people to be in danger of the fire).

Granted, I doubt Nicollette could ever do Joan's sociopathic icy cold stare, but few can...

• Members

True, the stare after Alexis shot that gun is just icy cold. Then there's the scene afterwards where a "concerned" Alexis goes to the mansion which is Alexis at her sociopathic best (or worst - depending on how you view it). It's disconcerting. But in the long run they had to re-write Alexis a bit just like they had to rewrite Blake to make it believable for Krystle to stay with him. Of course they tended to go too far in those re-writes, but still.

This version seems to know that both Alexis and Blake are in it for the long run, so they're sort of making them both monsters, just not enough to entirely turn you off.

• Members

Well, it didn't take long to whitewash the canvas, did it?  

Michael - suddenly quits

Jeff - loses and his airtime decreases

Monica - decided she will care for daddy off canvas

Can't say I'm shocked, but I am happy 2 black men are removed from fighting for Fallon's snatch.  

Nicolette works for 2018 Alexis.  The scene where she tells Cristal (sp) that the dog's name is Cristal and then gives a description of how/why was the funniest thing in a while.  Nic really nailed that scene.  

Grant is really good in this role. I like it!

Gonna finish the season and then I'm probably out!  

• Members

@ChitHappens I don't think the Colbys are done for. I wish Jeff had been cast with RCR instead. I wouldn't be surprised if Dynasty 17 follows the original and recasts like a daytime soap. No primetime soap came close to the number of major recasts of Dynasty 81. 

One thing that makes this Dynasty work is the incredible diversity, yet the characters are not all about color/race - though they aren't afraid to address issues either. I hope they don't lose that. But the show does need to make some tweaks in Season 2. 

Also, Dominique is coming in Season 2. Oh, I wish Vanessa Williams was available instead of being tied to that False Profits series that is on hold. I see Jeff with Kirby, like original.

I started watching once it got full season 1. It's definitely not nearly as horrible as people made it sound. Sure, it's campy (it's Dynasty!), but it does move fast, has some great one-liners and has EG and NS. And talk about scandal - making Jeff/Fallon related! Yikes.

I'm really curious how it's doing internationally since it's exclusively distributed on Netflix during the regular season. CBS did say it made money for Day 1 because of that deal. 

Edited by edgeofnik

• Members

I am OK with this. Although Cristal was fun at times, Nathalie Kelley is really not a good actress (she was better here as opposed to her mini-arc on The Vampire Diaries, but still, eh).

Colbys bore me to death on this show, they need to bring Mama Colby soon. Vanessa Williams maybe?

I hope they keep Liam (?) and maybe introduce his wealthy family.