Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I say good for Nicolette!  It had to be somebody and I'm glad it's her.  I'm happy that an '80s primetime soap ingenue come vixen is graduating into the iconic role, and I'm glad that they cast away from the mold as they have with several characters.  An English actress would have been too on the nose, and if we look at the list of actresses before they got to Joan, it's not as if the character was even conceived to be English.

My biggest problem with tonight's episode is that Jeff referred to Cecil as his father.  And we all know that Sable and Frankie are Monica's and Jeff's mothers, respectively.  I wonder how/if this reimagining will handle that.  Meanwhile, both of their mothers are first cousins of Nicollexis therefore at least biracial.  I have a feeling all of that incestuous backstory created by The Colbys will be largely erased/ignored on the new show.

• Members

TPTB shouldn't stop here. This show's numbers have not been good, so they'd have nothing to lose by casting more new characters ASAP! Vanessa Williams as "Dominique Devereaux", Valarie Pettiford as "Sybil (get it?) Colby", and James Lafferty as "Adam Carrington". Someone mentioned elsewhere about this show's setting being Atlanta, yet the show doesn't do much to make it seem like this is where these characters are living. I think I agree with that too! They should utilize the Atlanta setting more. Good stories can often be made based on a show's setting alone, and I personally know Atlanta: Party city, energetic, highly skeevy, and crime-ridden.

• Members

Late to the discussion but I feel mixed on Nicollette Sheridan. I've always liked her and she really stole every scene she had in Desperate Housewives (hated how they treated her) so I may have to tune in again to see her. I only watched the first three episodes and sort of let the other ones sit on the DVR. I don't dislike the show, it needs work, it's not great but I'm not ready to totally write it off I guess. They aren't doing everything I'd like (wasting the Revenge hunk on just one episode - as far as I know he's still dead, right? - and not sure how much they've used the talented Brianna Brown since as I haven't watched the last several episodes) but I don't really hate the idea of different takes on the original characters.

I think the problem is that it's a CW show so the writing will always be shallow, but the glossy feel works, and some of the cast works, not all of it though (the Cristal actress hasn't done anything to wow me or make me care about her character). I feel Monica and Jeff were cast as afterthoughts. Monica could be a nobody extra (at least through the first three episodes, remember I haven't seen anymore episodes yet). I didn't think Jeff and Fallon had any chemistry but she does with Michael. I don't really like the actor playing "Sam" and I didn't on Empire either. I think for the character they want Sam to be he fits just fine but I'm just not crazy about him.

Anyway, rambling ... but Sheridan wasn't even on my radar so that was an interesting choice. Not exactly who I'd have thought to cast, but I think I could enjoy it. I'm happy for her as I think she deserves to be starring in a lead role (especially after how she was treated on Housewives), and I think she excels at the type of character Alexis will be so I have no doubts she'll bring some buzz to the show and hopefully steal every scene she's in and get some well deserved attention for it. But this isn't Joan Collins coming to original flavor Dynasty or Heather Locklear coming to Melrose Place. But Sheridan's casting sure won't hurt IMO.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I completely forgot that Dominique had an ex-husband named Brady Lloyd (played by Billy Dee Williams in the original). He was a recording executive. Actor Blair Underwood sounds like a good fit for this show's version of Brady. He and Dominique would serve well in stories coming from the Atlanta music scene. Good idea!

• Members

It d oesnt matter who they cast, if the writing is shallow and lacking deoth..it won't help.  I'd fire the gossip girl duo as showrunner to start and bring on a good soap writer that knows how to pace and structure a plot.  Pollack did it on dynasty and Ann Marcus did it on knots landing.

And if stop trying to make the Carrington family seem like good prople..its 2017 and most Americans aren't too keen on the elite right now..hence why it's a shame how the show wrote Claudia.  She could habe been that outsider that represents the audience.

And throwing shade is fun, but that's all the show is doing.  All shade with littlenelse makes a shoe pretty boring and unmemorable.

• Members

Is this show any good or worth checking out? I hated to hear they changed location from Denver to Atlanta, but to see Nicollette Sheridan again on TV sounds worth it--as the new Alexis no less sounds fascinating. 

Desperate Housewives never recovered from the loss of Edie as a character either. 

• Members

Initially, I hated the idea of the change in the setting, but I quickly decided that Atlanta, as a setting, offers numerous possibilities. There's the music industry along with the good and the bad that occurs in that business. Atlanta is also high on the list when it comes to the sex trade. There's never a shortage of stories to tell from that aspect. With the right writers, Dynasty 2.0 could easily be a combination of the old (in terms of the show's vibe) with newer elements added. The gossip girl vibe is hurting it and it has to go.