Agnes Nixon has passed away at 88

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What could I say that hasn't been said already about the woman who gave us Erica Kane?  With her, I believe, goes whatever sparkle remained on this once-glorious genre.  There will never be another Agnes Nixon -- in daytime TV, or anywhere else.

• Members

I am beside myself. RIP you brilliant, groundbreaking, fierce woman.

Thank you for Erica Kane. Thank you for Phoebe. Thank you for Angie Hubbard and her Jessie. Thank you for Myrtle. Thank you for Opal and Palmer and Greg and Jenny. Thank you for 'the' Adam Chandler. Thank you for Bianca and her coming out. Thank you for all those heartwarming holiday episodes. Thank you for making Pine Valley a second home for this once lonely, depressed boy.

• Members

I'm trying to wrap my head around this as well.  No one lives forever, but I guess a part of me felt she would.

As far as soaps go, there are two writers who I've looked up to -- Doug Marland and Agnes Nixon -- and now, they're both gone.

• Members

Back around 2006, I was in the MFA writing program at Rosemont College in Rosemont, PA. When I found out Agnes lived in Rosemont, I suggested to the writing program's director that we reach out to her to see if she'd be interested in coming to campus to talk about her writing career and her work on soaps. To my absolute disappointment, the program expressed no interest. I kick myself that I didn't push harder. Here was an talented and prolific writer living in the town where the program was located and there was no interest in having her come to campus. What a wasted opportunity to not only honor one of the town's writing luminaries, but to hear firsthand from a woman whose work touched the hearts and lives of so many people.

Archived