• Members

Well, you'll get no argument from me on that point but I just think overall, considering the way she's treated in general, I feel bad for her. When Lady Mae told her to basically take her strength and shove it... Ouch! I can see why someone like her would (re)act the way she does and have difficulty not being high-strung.

They're not one of the most interesting things on the show but I think they're doing a good job setting up some interesting stuff. 

What I need from the show now is to explore and develop all the different sibling relationships. Grace needs to spend time with Jacob, Charity, etc!

Edited by YRBB

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lady Mae has such animosity towards Grace because Grace is the only person in the family who will not look the other way when it comes to the family's mess. The other two children can be shut down, but Grace is just the opposite. It's also apparent that Grace is the father's favorite.

This show has everything that most of these large churches have; money misappropriation, perverts, adultery, closeted men.

• Members

Just to be clear, as I am moving next week: The OWN app offers these eps for free, right? I'd like to keep watching it while I begin the process of moving out west and finding out where the hell I'm living (haven't watched eps 2 and 3 yet).

• Members

Grace did give him a bit of a funny look when he was teasing Darlene. It was kind of similar to the look that both James and Grace gave Jacob when they saw him interact with the assistant. They both looked like they thought something was going on with Jacob and that lady.  

James seemed kind of playful when he was teasing Darlene and hopefully that's all there is too it.  They may have their issues, but I would rather he and Lady Mae have a faithful and mostly stable relationship. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Finally finished the other two episodes. It just gets better and better. My favorite thing about this show is the small nuances of black culture in the writing. Example, the senator trading on the respect from black community that he "earned during the movement".  That's a cardinal sin, to be sure! Noah and Isabel met at essence fest. But it's these small things that make this show so rich to me. It's plenty of stuff like that in the dialogue. 

I don't mind the kids. I do think that having Sophia so out of touch is kinda passe' now. Teens have social media. There is no way she wouldn't know certain terms and be out of step with popular culture with kids having snapchat and insta. Sure, during the 90s kids in Alabama spoke differently than those in Chicago so it was a treat to catch up with my cousins during the summer. But I think nowadays, with social media, that's kinda out the window. Bad storyline. But I think it's a set up for uncle Mack stealing one of those girls innocence and joy. I'm sure it'll be Zora. She's enjoying life way too much. Don't want!

I see some people wondering who is Lady Mae's favorite child. I think that's easy. She's very old school and considers motherhood a woman's most important jobs. So of course it's going to be her only son Jacob. She's pushing him to Bishop since she told bishop to make him head of the deacon board. Lady Mae doesn't like Karessa and I think it's for no other reason than she blames her for Jacob's failings. Plus she probably sees her as trying to usurp her spot as alpha female in their family. She's not going to have that. 

Charity and Kevin are sweet. I mean he held the stick for her drunk ass to pee on. That's intimacy. It's a shame they are making him gay. I'm invested in them. By the way, am I the only one who thought that sex was not apart of their usual routine. Like they've never had sex or rarely ever. Something about eating ice cream and watching the bachelor was off. Well, charity is surely to rise in her mother's estimation when the baby news gets out. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

I don't see that at all with Jacob. He's like a small child both with his parents and in his marriage. He has no direction and seems so far removed from the church that I still question why he's there... even though the answer will easily be his parents. Lady Mae can cut Karissa down with one look, ain't no way she feel even the tiniest bit threatened by her or her place in her family.

• Members

i actually wish they would not make him gay either. I like him and Charity together. He is sweet and overall seems refreshingly regular and down to earth. I would have liked to have seen them stay together and him be the one person in the family that is pretty balanced and that is supportive of his wife in spite of her insecurities and her family issues.  Maybe they will still end up being good friends and co-parents even if they separate.

Edited by xtr

• Members

On Demand finally added the fifth episode. I'm sorry but is this not one of the fastest television pregnancies that you've ever seen? I mean, in ep. one they talked bad to Charity saying that she had no reason to open her mouth and give her opinion because she didn't have kids. Then she and Kevin are trying for one and by ep. three (or was it two?) they're trying for a baby and in ep. four (I think...?) she's taking the test and it's turning out positive. I'm kinda curious how much time passes in between each episode.

Dammmmmmn Kerissa! Can Charity & Kevin get their news out before you go in at the dinner table? LMAO at her throwing the phone and saying, "Anyone can read it." and their daughter reaching for the phone. Now she know!

I really love Grace & Sophia's relationship. They have a nicely played out mother/daughter relationship.

Oh Jacob... you do so much to stray from that church and its teachings and are the least holy man that anyone needs to be taking advice from and then you continue to act like a child with your parents. "Does mama know?" and even if she didn't in light of recent revelations I'm sure she'd agree with her husband. I was laughing at him grasping at straws and asking... "What about.." like sir, do you care?