This Is Us: Discussion Thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The show keeps getting better and better. Just truly marvelous stuff all around. Brown is getting all the Emmys. Totally did not expect Kevin to go through with going to New York. I'm glad Toby made it clear he doesn't usually make all these grand gestures for people he's been on a few dates with. And I really need to know what happened to Jack. Whether he's dead or not, it'll be devastating.

And SUPER thrilled about the ratings. You go, THIS IS US!

Edited by YRBB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I just binged episodes 3-17 in the last two days so I could catch up to the season finale this week.  My God, what an emotional show! I normally don't cry or get tears when watching TV shows or movies, but I got tears on two occasions.  The first one was when Kevin left his play to comfort Randall because he knew from that phone call that Randall was having a breakdown.  I have a brother, so that scene hit me hard.  The second one was when Randall comforted Kate during William's funeral.  "I'm so sorry you had to go through this twice, Randall." And then Randall tells Kate about his dream. I've been waiting for a really good Randall/Kate scene all season.  

• Administrator

I too was expecting to see Jack die in the finale, but I'm so glad he didn't.  I didn't want to see Jack die in such a negative way (drunk driving) or when he's in a negative place (with Rebecca).  That fight between Jack and Rebecca was really good and I loved how it was all in one shot.  I like how they met - Rebecca ditching her blind date, and Jack forgetting about this blind date.  And it was their meeting that made Jack stop his plan to steal the money and steered him away don't a bad path.  It was his "big break."  I want to see more of their beginning, and I also want to see Randall and Beth's beginning. 

I just can't believe a show like this is doing excellent in the ratings.  Usually these type of shows don't do well, ratings wise. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It is a risky move because it will be pre-empted for 6 weeks for Thursday Night Football in November / December and then again for two weeks in February for the Winter Olympics.  NBC is giving it the spot airing after the Super Bowl.   I hope all the pre-emptions don't scare the viewers away.

• Administrator

I don't really care that much about ratings anymore - as long as the show is still good and its ratings are ahead of other NBC shows (which it should be even with this move).  I think when the show ends (hopefully it'll last 6-7 seasons which is perfect for a heavily serialized show), it will go out of its own and not by cancellation. 

• Members

I think they were seeing the weakened ratings for Scandal and decided it was time to move in on the time slot.

Also, I believe it'll only have 18 episode seasons, so this way they can drag their seasons out until May I guess. I personally wouldn't have moved it, but meh...