This Is Us: Discussion Thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My God, that was lovely. So, so good. Great scenes, wonderful characters, several tearjerkers and that twist ending... Lord! I knew there was a surprise at the end but I still didn't see it coming. Now I'm trying to pick up on the clues, but they did a great job hiding it.

I'm happy for Hartley for finally having found something good. No wonder he bounced. And the rest of the cast was phenomenal as well.

They took a simple concept but twisted it into something very new and different. I hope it continues to be good and do well in the ratings.

Here are various interview snippets and discussion on the twist

• Administrator

Great first episode! I'm glad I didn't get spoiled on the twist.  It looks like I found my Parenthood replacement - emotional family drama.  Looking forward to see more of the family dynamics.  I also like the little touches of humour.  Dan Fogelman, who created Galavant, created this show.  He also created the new drama Pitch on FOX but I'm glad he'll be showrunning This Is Us. 

• Members

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Great seeing Katey Sagal again. Kate's thinking, process and feelings are so true and real. Just love with how much honesty and empathy her story is written.

Hartley is so great as Kevin. He really hits all the right notes. How heartbreaking that he and Randall have a complicated dynamic like that. It'll be fun to see that explored and, hopefully, resolved.

Mandy Moore was great in this episode. I haven't really seen enough of her work to know if she could pull this off, but she's doing really well. 

DAMN. I didn't know Brown had that body underneath those clothes! And I love him, Beth and William.

And a second episode in a row that made me cry and made me gasp at the end! Rebecca and Miguel? Say it ain't so!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/12/this-us-ratings

This Is Us delivered a highly unusual ratings surprise Tuesday night. 

Debuting for the first time in its new time period, the dramedy delivered 9.8 million viewers and a 2.8 adults 18-49 rating, growing from its The Voice lead-in in the demo (10.6 million, 2.5 rating)

Here are all the ways that’s a head-turning performance:

– This Is Us is the first scripted show to ever build on a lead-in from The Voice. Normally the musical competition has a strong number and the best the next show can do is retain the same rating, or, most often, something several notches lower. 

– This matches the ThIs Is Us series premiere from late September. Normally shows premiere at one level, then decline week after week until hopefully settling at a decent level. For This Is Us to bounce back to its premiere number a few weeks in is considered highly unusual. In fact, that the last time an NBC drama matched its premiere rating in the third week was 10 years ago (a show called Friday Night Lights). And no fall drama premiere on any of the big four networks has managed this in seven years (though spring drama premiere has recently pulled it off – Fox’s Empire).  

Edited by dragonflies