Paul Lee OUT at ABC

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I shouldn't have lumped in Murder with the shows I was thinking of, like Scandal. I agree that Murder is great this season, really really great, but even as someone that's watched every episode I find myself wondering what the hell is going on sometimes. Did so-and-so kill whatsherface? It's very...labyrinth-y.

ETA: JESUS CHRIST, how many times do I have to press enter to do a line break on this board???

• Members

The only shows I liked from ABC were HTGAWM, The Muppets, Modern Family and Castle. I pretty much have dropped all of them except for MF. I don't see the Muppets lasting much longer anyways. Castle is just an old show that needs its series finale already.

Thats what I kept thinking about last season and got into watching TNF that I just gave up it last season.

• Members

I wonder if The Muppets is why he's been canned. The PR for the show was poor (who cares about a Piggy/Kermit love breakup?? That isn't what the Muppets were about) and the decision to make the Muppets mean and nasty didn't work...no one but Jim Henson has ever understood them. 

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/paul-lee-abc-2015-2016-season-what-went-wrong.html

• Members

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me - The Muppets was a high-profile launch, tonnes spent on marketing and a valueable brand for Disney as that could've re-generated interest in past Muppets series, movies and merchandise. If The Muppets had worked out it would've been a commercial for all those things years to come.

• Members

If they would slow down the story somewhat, the serials on ABC could last more than 2 seasons without burning themselves out. Already seeing it happening on HTGAWM, Nashville is told at rapid-fire pace (Rayna has loved and lost how many men since her divorce?), Revenge shot itself in the foot in the second season, etc. Everything is told at such a frenetic pace, it's hard to keep up and remember who did what to whom. 

P.S. Chicago Law is in the works at NBC here in Chicago... :)  

• Administrator

I know.  I'm not thinking from a business standpoint, I'm just thinking about my taste in TV shows - I prefer serialized shows over procedurals, though I do watch some shows with procedural elements that also have serialized aspects (like The Blacklist). 

We'll see how much of a procedural mandate Sherwood will give Dungey.  Here's another scary quote from the NY Times: Mr. Sherwood also wanted ABC to focus more on CBS-style procedural crime series like “N.C.I.S.,” while Mr. Lee continued to back serialized dramas like “Scandal” and “American Crime.”

• 11 months later...
  • Webmaster

Never saw this directly responded to, but daytime ("The Chew" and "General Hospital" at least) is part of the ABC Entertainment division, which is now led by Channing Dungey. ABC News oversees "The View," however.

Archived