The Grammys 2016

Soapsuds

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't bother to watch but most of the talk I've read has been about Adele's terrible performance, which people are blaming on poor sound. It sucks for her, obviously, but it's more interesting than some of her snoozy material of late.

• Members

She is the QUEEN of the humble brag, though. "As the first woman to win AOTY TWICE".... Not a good look on her. She had every right to go after Kanye, but that soured things for me (and in the past, it seems to me that she has used a faux feminist tactic as a way to deflect genuine criticism because it hurt her delicate little fee fees...YMMV, of course, though. At least Kanye deserves to be called out.).

And I don't care what anyone says, I LOVE Meghan Trainor, and even though she should have technically been nominated for BNA last year, I'm still happy she won; her tearful reaction got to me so much. She actually has a VERY impressive range/singing voice, which "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" proves; she really needs to show off her voice more than rap. I understand some of the concern about her lyrics (and frankly, I don't she ever meant to offend anyone--and I think she'll evolve away from it, too), but some of the criticism about her is SO nasty, it makes me uncomfortable, because so often it goes back to her looks and weight, rather than her singing talent-just because she doesn't have a supermodel body like Taylor Swift doesn't mean she isn't worth anything. I also loved her song in the Peanuts Movie.

I DO wish she would go back to blonde hair, though. :)

I needed more of the Eagles and Jackson Browne, man. Glenn deserved better than the little he got. It was too short. :(

The 12 year old piano playing kid was better than most of other performers, for real. 

• Members

Yes, Taylor is very passive aggressive, and everyone gives her a free pass for it. So much of her empire is built in having the right PR team behind her.

This Kanye crap just reeks of a publicity stunt on both of their fronts - Taylor can get some press attention heading into the Grammys and play her default victim card and Kanye can promote his new single/album. These two disgust me in the worst way. 

• Administrator

You do realize that anyone can get a great PR team behind them, right?  There are plenty of other people who are good looking with good voices and have the access to get a PR team.   A PR team helps you, but they don't make you successful long term.   It's not the PR team who write every song, or is the creating force behind her music, or has the ability to connect to her fans like no other, or attends meet-and-greets before every concert and after the majority of concerts, or plans her concerts, etc, etc.   PR helps you in the short term, to achieve what's coming up next.  But it's the artist who is mainly responsible for getting/keeping fans long term.   Anything PR related - that can happen to any other artists.  Taylor doesn't have some special guru PR who only can do things for Taylor and not anyone else. 

I personally don't know anyone who goes out and buys someone's album because that person is in the news, or is constantly being talked about, or if they have a good PR team.  People go out and buy Taylor's album because they enjoy her music, and the numbers prove that.  All five of her albums have sold over 4 million copies, in a time where people don't really buy albums anymore.  Her latest album will eventually be her best selling album, which is mind-blowing.......5th album......in the mid 2010's......is going to be her best selling album....what? That is unbelievable.  

It's Taylor who is driving the car, and of course she has people in the passenger/back seat helping her out, giving suggestions to which route to take, but it's Taylor who is steering the wheel, deciding where to go.  If she blows a tire, those people in the car will get out and help her change the tire, and then they get back on the road again.  She's been doing this for 10 successful straight years and she hasn't driven the car off a cliff yet. 

If people dislike her music, or her personality, that's fine.  We all have different tastes.  But to discredit her success by saying it's all PR is downright rubbish.  Fame and money came to her at such a young age but she didn't let that go to her head like so many other artists who crash and burn. She just done something that no other woman has ever done in the history of music - that this HUGE!  She worked hard for her success and accomplishments, and that shouldn't be taken away from her.   It's Taylor who has the work ethic, the smarts and vision to forge her own career.  

• Members

My comment was about her profile as celebrity, no where did I mention anything about her actual music success (her empire as a celebrity/publicity machine, if that wasn't clear). She thrives on being a celebrity and having her name in the news and tabloid articles written about her all the time, but then plays the victim that the press is harassing her and spreading lies about her (when a good deal of it is her own team planting and keeping these stories alive with her permission). This may be true for all celebrities, but this girl and her team know how to manipulate the media and intentionally feed into the media machine to keep her name out there. It's getting rather obnoxious at this point. 

And as I said, I feel this current situation is a two-fold publicity stunt on both her and Kanye's part - they both want the attention to promote their specific agendas. 

Also, commercial success and winning awards is fine, but I can't say she's released anything that has any impact on the way pop music sounds, she's following trends other people have successfully used in the past, and that's fine, it works for her - but 10 years from now, I won't look back on 1989 as any type of landmark album that forever changed the face of pop music. I sure as hell don't look back on Fearless for having done so, and again that's fine if it works for her.

Luckily, Adele came along and blew Taylor's album sales out of that water without the incessant need for tabloid fodder. And no, I don't think her music has necessarily changed the game either. 

• Administrator

What are some examples?  And there's nothing wrong in knowing how to manipulate the media. Being a celebrity of her stature is very hard but you have to know how to handle things so you don't lose control, so you don't flame out like many other artists have. 

But like I said, people aren't going to buy Kanye's album because of this publicity.  If he's trying to get great albums sales, he's doing a poor job doing it - he's been ranting on twitter than he's only going to put his album up on Tidal.   Taylor was already going to get all the publicity during the Grammys anyway, so she had nothing to gain here. 

Having a little bit of controversy is not going to severely hurt your career, as long as nothing major happens where you start to lose your fanbase.  There's always going to be people who pick you apart and try to take you down whenever possible. 

Nobody ever said her albums were changing the the face of pop music.  LOL  It's fine to follow a trend, but you have to do it successfully, which she has. 

Yeah, so?  What Adele did doesn't diminish Taylor's success.  They are both very successful in their own right. 

• Members

I thought Adele did magnificently despite the technical errors.

So glad people are waking up to Taylor's passive aggressive nature. She is the epitome of a "when it's convenient" white feminist. She is just so phony. The only redeeming quality she has, for me, is the way she treats her fans, which is very nice. But her beyond stank attitude and extraordinary lack of talent drive me nuts. I don't begrudge her her success, but I hate to see her soar to the top despite her awful attitude - yet artists like Azalea Banks, who is also stank as !@#$%^&*], struggles to find success because of her attitude. How convenient. 

Archived