10 Greatest Soap Super Couples of All Time

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised -- Luke & Laura weren't first! That sorta shocked me lol 

I can't speak for Mason & Julia or Eden & Cruz, really, but EJ & Shhamee should not ever be considered a supercouple and their place should have been taken by Erica and someone, or maybe someone from GUIDING LIGHT or AS THE WORLD TURNS?

• Members

The problem I have with lists like this, whether they be on-line or in a printed publication, is that they are so obviously compiled and written by authors who (I would bet) are too young and too limited in their viewing history to have witnessed daytime dramas' vintage years (i.e., pre-1980) in all their glory. This severely limits the candidates from which the authors choose, and therefore results in finished "best of" lists which are incomplete, suspect, or downright absurd.

Of course choosing "the best" couples is difficult and open to interpretation, but objectively speaking, several of the characters on TV LIne's list would not even make it through to the final cut if the judges were longtime, expert soap fans, who had extensive viewing experience under their belts, and who had enjoyed most, if not all, of the legendary soaps and their featured couples during their heyday.

• Members

Eden and Cruz actually feel right to me even though I only saw a few eps of Santa Barbara. I think they benefit from the fact that they existed before the internet gave birth to the ugly fanbase wars that later went on to define soap couples.

I kind of hate that Jesse and Angie rate lower than Luke and Laura. I understand it but I still hate it. LnL became the definitive soap super couple but there's simply no way to continue to ignore that they were the product of rape culture plus they went on to basically fall apart under their own weight. J&A grew and evolved even when they were in the hands of terrible writers (*waves to Pratt*). I credit the actors with that.

That said, I know that I'm hardly neutral when it comes to my Hubbards. I still miss the sh!t out of them.

Archived