Sign in to follow this  
Vee

Star Trek returns with streaming series

Vee   

THR:

Alex Kurtzman is attached to the new series, which will premiere in January 2017 on CBS before new episodes debut on its digital and VOD platform.

Just in time for its 50th anniversary, Star Trek may be returning to the small screen.

Prolific producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The new Star Trek has been picked up straight to series at CBS, with the premiere slated for the network in January 2017. Subsequent episodes will air on its digital and VOD platform, CBS All Access. The premiere and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the U.S. on CBS All Access, the network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service. Star Trek marks the first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access.

The new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

I'm happy to see CBS finally making a Star Trek show, but I'm disappointed it's going to be for their streaming service. I get they want CBS All Access to be more like Netflix, but Star Trek should be on CBS proper or the CW at least. 

Vee   

Their best bet would be just giving it to Netflix, IMO.

I hope they swallow their pride and call Bryan Fuller, who cut his teeth working at the old shows and who I know often talked about making it with Angela Bassett as the captain. I don't trust the J.J. Abrams crew with it. I enjoyed the first new film and I have high hopes for the third, but I think the TV side needs a change. Sadly I doubt this series will be set in the old timeline from TOS/TNG/etc.

Vee   

Alex Kurtzman is part of that Bad Robot crew, but he's probably just putting his name on it, as many producers do - build the show and stay hands-off. The actual day-to-day creatives are likely a whole other story. I don't know anything about SH, I don't watch that show.

I remember there was a rumor that Kurtzman was one of the few who did not want the villain in the last Trek film to be Khan again, so that's something.

DRW50   

A lot of the people involved in it ran like hell after the first season, which has always confused me. Maybe it was a FOX thing.

I should disclaim that I do know a lot of fans are fine with this era of the show, some of whom, like my father, are far bigger Trek fans than I am. I just don't really like Abrams' work. I do hope the show does well, streaming or whatever it may be.

Vee   

I hate J.J. Abrams. But I loved the first of the new movies, which i thought was a generally solid use of his very limited talents to help an existing property. (The same reason I am happy he is one and done with Star Wars, which is also largely not his own work this time.)

I would sooner see someone really talented with a bold vision take over the original Trek universe, but I suspect it will be in the one from the new films. Either way I am glad to see someone taking a chance on the property again.

Vee   

Legendary character actor and regular Trek veteran Tony Todd (he played several roles, including Worf's brother Kurn and the aged Jake Sisko in DS9's incredible episode "The Visitor") claims to be on the short list for the new series. Would make sense, as Fuller got his start working on DS9 and VOY.