Days: November 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, I think this was the perfect time to bring in new teens, especially with the anniversary. They need a good set of younger legacy characters with virtually clean slates that can be developed into leads. The last time they had a truly decent one was the Last Blast crew and they screwed that up by rushing them all into marriages and babies and then off the show. From the sets after well Will & Nick got killed, Sonny's gone, Gabby's irrelevant, JJ was stuck in a group with a bunch of unlikable nobodies and now he's in limbo, Stephanie, Chelsea, Melughnie, Nathan, ect are nowhere to be found.

Take in the fact that the late 30s-40s characters are all kind of washed and everyone else has their AARP card, it was right to bring in a new gen IMO. At least this time its a group of kids who were actually seen on screen so we have some semblance of an attachment to them.

• Members

Honestly, I feel establishing a new family and a new leading man (or men) should have been bigger priorities for DAYS than SORASing yet one more generation before they were truly ready.  (Especially the new family.  There are so few Hortons, Bradys and DiMeras still around, and the ones who are around have become related to each other in ways I'll never be able to understand.)

• Members

But that's what they've been trying to do for the past 5+ years with Rafe and the Hernandez clan. Or they tried and then stalled and now they're trying again (to not a lot of great reception clearly. At this point I definitely trust tptb LESS with introducing a new family than I do new kids.) I don't think they should have SORASed Claire because Shawn and Belle should be way too young to have a teenager. I know they were young parents but they weren't in their teens and it unnecessarily ages them even more so than should be the case. But I think aging Ciara/Theo/Joey was reasonable 

• Members

I'm more than OK with them aging Ciara, Chase, Theo and Joey. Funny thing is I'm not sold on the actors yet. On the other hand, they shouldn't have aged Claire but the actress with few lines is already better. Shawn and Belle don't need a teenager.

Allie would have been a better fit for many reasons. Blonde, played with Ciara, has Sami for a mother .... would give Kate and Lucas family ... sigh. Allie was the better choice all around. She already lumbered over Johnny so why not just age her too? And not that  I'm begging to see her again but it gives Sami a brat in Salem to pop in a visit.

And to be fair, all the ages of the kids are messed up. Brady and Abby should be the same age. Philip was aged over Will and they should be the same age. Belle was born in 1993 and aged to high school in 1999 ... DAYS has a bizarre history of this. Not to mention the absolute worst example: EJ. He was born in 1997 and aged in 2006 and then paired with Sami, who's own son that EJ interacted with who was born two years BEFORE him. It's one of the many reasons I've always disliked the EJ introduction and character.

And since the token gay finally got an appearance yesterday, anyone else think Paul's new man will be

• Members

I don't know why these soaps think throwing young people onscreen will bring in viewers. Especially when they don't cast young people that the potential young viewers actually want to see and they don't market anything to that age group so they would know to even attempt to tune in to the show. 

Yeah one of the many reasons I always disliked EJ was because of how they aged him. We can go find scenes of him as a baby in his mother's arms while he discusses Sami's drama surrounding Will yet he's now in Sami's age range. 

ITA that this show doesnt know how to develop a new family. The Hernandez family was the worst though part of that is the casting. Galen Gering is awful and was the wrong person to build a family around. Lindsey Hartley's Arianna was awful and she and her brother ate the show. I remember being so annoyed they kept trying to put her in Nicole's spot.I think they had some random brother no one liked.  And then Gabi is just terrible and all her storylines have been awful. It was also such a waste of time making her a young mother. And then there's a the casting. I hate the white washing of minority families on shows that already have few minorities. It was bad enough the Hernandez family is a Mexican family but up until A Martinez joined no one Mexican was playing any of the parts but then they made sure Gabi's daughter looked as white as possible. 

• Members

Totally agree.  Claire is by far my favorite actress so far in the tiny bit we've seen of her (and she's good as Shawn and Belle's daughter because of her resemblance to Kirsten Storms), but Shawn and Belle do NOT need a teenager.  They gave them a kid wayyy too young.  There's all this talk of how Will was aged naturally because Sami had him so young, but at the same time Belle was only a couple years older when she had Claire.  I almost wish they de-SORAS'd Claire so they still had a little kid.  I also agree re: Allie since she and Ciara already have a history on screen together. 

• Members

I think the actress playing Claire looks like Martha. Their resemblance yesterday was good casting. I think that naturally she should be paired up with Chase as he's one of the few guys not related to her. I can see Ciara getting jealous watching her best friend get closer to her niece and realize that she has feelings for him. On the sidelines Theo is crushing on her, not knowing how to come forward with those feelings. I dont know what they plan with Joey and Im really not interested in seeing another teen brought on for him

Good idea on aging Allie. As a teen, they could have her rebellious and not want to live with Sami anymore, hence why she'd come live with Lucas. Speaking of which, Sami is a fugitive now...what does that mean for her kids?

• Members

Especially when you have actors as youthful-looking as Brandon Beemer, Jason Cook and Martha Madison.  If they had wanted to age Claire, then they should have hired older actors to portray Shawn and Belle, 50th anniversary nostalgia be damned.

Oh, and don't worry about Allie.  Come next year, she'll be the new surgery resident at University Hospital who tries to steal Steve away from Kayla.

• Members

It doesn't seem like there's much interest in Paul. But hasn't he been filming Hawaii Five-O? I'm guessing they just wrote him out for the time being (well, "time being" six months ago) and use him when he's available.

Actually it doesn't seem like there's any interest in half the cast. I love that Steve, Kayla, Hope, John and Marlena are featured so heavily but we have Jennifer, JJ, Eric, Nicole, Kate, Lucas, Adrienne, Theresa, Brady, Justin, Eve among many others who really have nothing going on. I'm guessing it could change but then you add in all the new teens and all the newbies (Fynn, Lani, Eduardo, Vincent Irizarry, Vilasuso, Gabi/Rafe's mother) ... I'm slightly blah towards the show for the lack of ability to really involve the whole cast. The balance is better. I love seeing Doug and Julie regularly and Maggie and Caroline are used effectively and often enough that they matter but it's not really coming together yet.

• Members

Finishing yesterday(Obama 2 days in a row at noon, here), so I watched on NBC.com.

Loved the trickle down, yet again. Nobody seems to miss Will(I blame that on GW's facial expressions), and the Brady gathering, and especially the Victor/Caroline scene, rocked.  I do wish we had seen reactions from Doug/Julie, Kate. JJ is nowhere for the holiday?...Extended Bradys Abe and Theo's absence as well... NuClaire is nowhere near the "See-error" levels so far. And MM hasn't got the matronly look about her this round.  The Belle/ Marlena scene was great.  Nice to see Paul, wish he were on a little more, but I think a little rest from Salem will make his next story more enjoyable. He's a great villain on 5-0, and I'm sure filming that series takes priority, as he had the role prior to joining Days...

Archived