Blind Item: Frontburner Daytime Star Preparing To Leave

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry to see Mansi go. She and Flynn have fantastic chemistry. I really have enjoyed Chabby. I've never thought Mansi was some amazing great talent but she was better than given credit for and squandered for several years, in pairings with total duds. And Tomsell's Abby was all over the place. Raging bitch one minute, likable heroine the next. Who can care about someone they don't really know as a character?

I think one of the big problems is that shows do a terrible job actually DEVELOPING a younger character. There's no goals. No ambition. No drive. At least with JJ stupidly becoming a cop there's SOME motivation there. With Griffith now writing the show we do get some stakes, and some motivation, but the lack of character development in new characters and SORASED characters is just piss poor all around.

And DAYS biggest problem with younger talent is they waste them, or they put them in ridiculous storylines that the kids can't wait to run away from when their contract expires.

And this is no offense intended to actors like Freddie Smith and Kate Mansi who are both very talented and for me didn't get the credit they deserved because of lackluster writing, but I think it's slightly foolish of them to leave the show with the hope of more. Where's Rachel Melvin at? Blake Berris? Kirsten Storms, Jason Cook and Farah Fath just jumped to other soaps and Trevor Donovan went to, of all shows, 90210 and spends more time on Twitter than at gigs, sooo ...... I mean, I know Melvin and Berris have gotten nice work for themselves and the actors are young enough to have opportunities, but I see them (Mansi & Smith) both returning at some point, as long as the show survives. Lord, look how many times Nadia Bjorlin's returned! And before anyone says DAYS isn't a guaranteed gig, well, no, but no show or movie really is either.

I also think another problem is the looong contracts these actors sign. Four years is a long commitment. I don't blame them for running free. I'm glad they stick around for four years but I see why they leave and DAYS doesn't seem to want to work much with actors doing outside gigs if your name isn't Alison Sweeney.

• Members

Camila's got herself a new primetime pilot, if that's picked up lets see if she stays after her year is up. She only re-signed for one year, so that's probably up in a few months also.

They were trying to establish a recast Chad at the same time, they needed one half of the pairing to be familiar at that point. So they probably didn't want a full gear of 2 new recasts and triangle with Ben. Plus the chemistry with BF and KM has been really good. 

• Members

Once again, this whole taping-six-months-in-advance thing is ruining any momentum the show gains. Even without the Internet, this will appear in next week's Soap Opera Digest and other magazines. What if 14 million daily viewers of General Hospital already knew in November 1981 that Genie Francis would be leaving in 1982? 

• Members

I don't think it's even a matter of anyone thinking Mansi is an amazing actress (though I think she's shown herself to be pretty capable these last few months). But she's a familiar face who has generated chemistry with a popular leading male, and the show has hung a lot of story on them. They're really in a bind about how to move forward, which is what people are discussing.

Archived