The Muppets: Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My interest has been piqued, thanks to the trailer, which TVGuide.com posted today. But I didn't watch "The Office" (at least not the U.S. version), "Parks and Recreation," or "30 Rock," so what's probably trite to everyone else might seem fresh and different to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I enjoyed it. I thought it was funny. I liked the tone and how they used the entire Muppet cast and had them milling in the background doing things. It gave off that Office vibe with the nostalgia of The Muppets. It has a lot of potential. It felt like I was watching the Muppets and nothing felt wrong or off to me. Basically, as a longtime fan, I think they're in capable hands.

Some general thoughts ... the Scooter/Elizabeth Banks fight on the golf cart was a tad much but still funny. Tom Bergeron's bit was good.

Love me some Miss Piggy but sometimes the diva thing is just a tad ... much (such as being unable to remember names, etc but then at the same time it's all just played for a joke so it's not a big deal). I think sometimes they make her border on caricature but the premise of her hosting a talk show with the gang as the staff is so simple and basic yet brilliant for them and a nice tie to the original Muppet Show.

The ratings weren't HUGE HUGE but they were very good, IMHO. I was sort of surprised. I hope they can maintain. I think they're fine if they dip to what Fresh does and they could. We'll see. I'm very interested to see if the audience sticks with it. I didn't expect that demo #.

I just saw that it grew in the ratings when the Live+3 #'s are factored in: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/09/27/live-3-abcs-the-muppets-jumps-to-a-3-8-in-adults-18-49-making-it-tvs-biggest-comedy-debut-in-1-year/472229/

It jumped to 11.1 million viewers and a 3.8 in the demo, sSo I'd say the audience is there. It needs to keep it. And on a related side-note, companion Fresh off the Boat grew to 7.3 million viewers and a 2.5 in the demo. So ... yay for them! I love that show too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think last night's episode was the best so far, aside from the pilot which was very good.

They are doing a good job of spreading out airtime for characters and giving them moments to shine. Beaker's "Me Me Me Me Me Moi" impression of Piggy was hilarious, Fozzie shooting Statler in the face with a shirt from a gun (Waldorf: "at least I got the shirt"), Ed Helms trashed at the bar with the gang singing Don't Stop Believin', Kermit masterfully manipulating Piggy into dumping the gang ... and it was nice seeing Sam the Eagle and Janice get some airtime with Sam in love with Janice (his sad, depressed and perfect "You Are The Wing Beneath My Wings" was great as Janice cozied up to Ed Helms in the most bizarre love triangle).

For me, the writing and characterizations is on point. It's fun. I hope ratings stabalize. I'm sure ABC would love nothing more than to renew it. The writing is great.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Brilliant.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived