Fuller House

• Members

It's a wildly terrible show and always was (I've seen almost every episode far too many times, thanks syndication) but I never got the sense it was some dysfunctional set. The whole ensemble seems to love each other, it's pretty sickening. I never got the sense that anything that happened to Jodie Sweetin or to the Olsens had anything to do with FH but more with what happens to far too many child stars or rich kids. Some shows or sets especially bring that out, but FH seems to have been pretty sanguine during its original run.

I do hope Sweetin is doing better. I heard she was on the mend and then something about another relapse but it all blends together for me. She's such a beautiful woman and I always liked her as a kid.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You can say that about any child star, though, and it's not strictly true. Some sets and showbiz environments are better than others, and despite it being one of the most aggressively saccharine sitcoms in history, FH was apparently a pretty good place BTS. So I don't believe that FH or its cast and crew, who seemed to just love those kids, are directly responsible for what became of them in the future. If we were talking Eight is Enough or something I think there's a case to be made. Also, with the Olsens, they had a much bigger, separate media empire in the 90s which FH quickly became mostly incidental to.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It's difficult for me to call this a happy set when all four of the girls who played the daughters have had some serious struggles, but I wasn't really blaming the show for all their problems - just that their being cast started all of this, and I can understand why they would never want to go back.

• Members

I confess that I did like this show, at least the first few years before the Olsen twins grew up and the show became way too saccharine. I always liked Jodie Sweetin's Stephanie much more than that horrible little Michelle....

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

You had to literally be 7 years old to enjoy this show (I know adults who grew up on it enjoy it for nostalgic reasons, but you know what I mean) that's who they went after. I don't think a show as corny and saccharine as this one has been produced since.

Though, the same could be said for all the Miller-Boyette shows I guess...

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

True. Aside from "Bosom Buddies," I can't think of any sitcom produced by Miller/Milkis/Boyett that wasn't inane. It's as if they borrowed all the worst elements of Garry Marshall's work -- the crude, slapstick humor, the annoying catchphrases and characterizations, the "awwwww" hug-and-learns at the climax of the second act -- and forgot about the rest.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I'd prefer something closer to this type of comedy then the more mean-spirited stylings of 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, etc.

However, my favorite sitcom is The Middle... it has the quirks/sentimental elements of a Full House along with the more cynical elements of the above mentioned shows... it's a perfect melding of those two types of genres.