Netflix: Bloodline

YRBB

• Members

I always seem to start most of these Netflix shows threads but I just watched the pilot and I had to. laugh.png

Even though the shows are very different, the whole family-with-a-business concept was very reminiscent of SIX FEET UNDER, a flavor, if I may, that I enjoyed.

Naturally, Kyle Chandler is Kyle Chandler and he will play a good guy with flaws that saves people and is incredibly, unbelievably, unfailingly gorgeous. Like, he would be husband if we were closer in age.

Throughout I had the sense that I knew where this was going but the show delivers a great twist. Overall, seems to be a really great cast, although I do wish they had introduced more than one storyline. The eldest brother, Danny, was fantastic.

On a very personal note, they end the episode with one of those executive producer title cards and, oh, I love that so much.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ive watched three episodes... it's a slow burn type of show. If you like faster paced shows like Empire, Scandal, or Nashville (where twists are coming at you left and right).. then I don't know if this will be the show for you because it goes at a slower pace.. and allows the characters time to breathe and process.

I will say that it kind of reminds me of Damages.. yet at the same time, it's completely different.

That said black sheep Danny is intriguing and I didn't see the plot twist at the end of the 1st episode coming. More information is revealed in the next two episodes in smaller doses.. but I wont spoil it :)

• Members

One big difference is that this show is completely devoid of humor. This is really just the tale of a very sick family, destroyed by domestic violence (physical, but even more so emotional) and lies. Once I started, I had to get to the end, but I can't imagine this being a hit.

The setting was unbelievably gorgeous. I'll give them that. Does anyone know who the boy in the very last scene is? I missed it and I don't feel like re-watching.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think Danny is awful because of his father, who was awful because of his father. He was a troubled kid, but once his father blamed him for the sister's death and beat him within an inch of his life, that really ruined him. Then the whole family backed the father's story, so of course he resents them. I can't stand Kevin. I do think that Danny forced John's hand with the seahorse incident. I don't have a ton of sympathy for the mother.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It reminded me of Damages too. I watched right away and it's been awhile, and I still haven't decided if I really liked it. I think some of the acting was really really good. But the story was predictable IMO, right up to the end, which actually kind of surprised me. But other than that, the pacing was sloooooowwwwwwwww.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Seen up to episode 5.

The pace remains very slow but the show has been throwing some pretty fun stuff at us and, just when you least expect it, the direction changes. Things are falling into place very nicely and I am slowly becoming obsessed. I kinda like it now that they're taking their sweet time.

The stuff with Sarah's death/Danny's abuse is heartbreaking.

Really was not expecting Robert to just die.

I REALLY feel for Danny. He's giving this a genuine shot only to find out John covered for Robert.

Belle and Kevin & Danny and Chelsea as couples are great.

Meg: Tough luck bitch. Two gorgeous men vying for you. One a hot ass detective that is great to you and your mom, the other a hot ass rich dude that really cares about you. Boo hoo. laugh.png

Kyle Chandler: No matter how many years or how many shows I see him in, I will NEVER get over his baeness. He's husband material, no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Can we get some more discussion here? I've seen up to episode 11 and anyone who gave up before episode 4 or 5 is missing out GREATLY.

The tension on episode 11 was insane. My God, for a few moments there I really thought Danny would kill Jane. His plan really was brilliant to involve the whole family in his 'business' where, whatever they do, they're screwed. He's such an amazing villain.

• Members

Pretty much how I felt and I really did try because I think the cast is awesome, save for the drunk brother that hates the blacksheep brother. He annoyed the HELL out of me. Especially with the "WHAT happened to dad?" screeches.

Plus, I loved their theme song... so that was one of the only things that I took away from this show.

Good on you YRBB for sticking with it. I love what you said marceline.

• 10 months later...

Archived