The Oscars

Soapsuds

• Members

...and as I predicted, the ratings tumble.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/movies/awardsseason/oscars-show-growing-gap-between-moviegoers-and-academy.html

Although I don't agree with some of the statements that the article's author asserts for example, that somehow the endless calvalcade of Black presenters somehow magically doused the controversy over the lack of diversity of the nominees. Exactly how does parading presenters say that your nominations reflect diversity. If anything, it magnifies the gap between how the Academy wants to present itself to the world vs. what it actually does, in practice.

I also think the article fails to take into account that Television and it's digital relations, currently draws a great deal of critical acclaim and viewer interest, as evidenced by the Netflix commercials for House of Cards that actually drew my attention unlike most of the actual broadcast.

As for Patricia Arquette's backstage remarks, however well intentioned, many people know (or should) that White women, in particular, have drawn more benefits from Affirmative Action than any other minority group. So her words may have caused some to bristle. Her remarks onstage, though, were well said.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow.

Mark my words: the Academy, under pressure from the producers and network, will lay on the racial diversity thicker than ever next year. The host will be Black (...and female...and gay). The nominees will be Black. The presenters will be Black. The musical guests, the orchestra, the seat fillers, and especially the writers who will churn out the ain't-no-party-like-an-Oscar-party jokes? All so damn Black, it'll hurt. In fact, "Cadillac Presents the 88th Annual Academy Awards" might become the first awards show in recorded history to utilize a "Whites only" seating section (...in the balcony...far away from the cameras' eyes).

• Members

Reading all of your comments as the Oscars were going on makes me wonder why the people handling the Oscars aren't looking online for aspiring writers of jokes. The show could use some new blood.

NPH wasn't really good....I'd rather the Oscars have someone connected to movies host this. Not someone known more for TV and Broadway....just saying.

That said his best bit was him in tighty whities. And for.why he looks older in the face..he has twins! Kids age you or so my friends with small kids tell me lol

• Members
IA. Carson wasn't connected to movies, of course, but Carson could host a cattle auction and still be sensational.

There are a number of shows I'd love to pitch jokes and sketches for: the Oscars, the Emmys, SNL, Colbert, Tonight Show....

Archived