Monique claims she was "blackballed"

alphanguy74

• Members

There was a claim on Gawker (I know) a few days back that Mo'Nique and her husband insisted on be paid completely in cash, up front, at the start of either some film shoot or a PR junket or something - like she was still a stand-up comic working the Best Western circuit in Ohio. I can see why that's impossible to deal with.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's a shame that he and others have to address that labeling simply because the self-appointed arbiters of "blackness" speak and the media is "like if someone says something about you then you must respond."

So many of them are quick to point to the "content of character" line in Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech as the goal while insisting that black people need to live by their version of what is black or they cannot be a "real black" person.

The world is big enough for him to do his thing and them to complain about anyone not fitting in their checkboxes. He's going to keep getting flak so he may as well keep laughing it off.

• Members

I definitely think a lot of the cast might be different but definitely Terrence Howard would not be Luscious had Mo'nique been Cookie. It all worked out for the best because Taraji has helped bring an inimitable character to prime time TV.

Anytime I see the title of this thread, I think of that Frasier episode where Frasier and Niles are planning a Dinner Party and Frasier negates one of Niles' proposed guests by bellowing out "Blackball!" I wish I had a clip, that was so funny.laugh.png

When I hear or read about this topic, I honestly want to bellow out 'Blaaackbaall!'

• Members

The showrunners denied that a few days ago. I think people are saying she may have been potentially tapped for Gabourey Sidibe's role, but I doubt that was a done deal. According to everyone at Empire, the only choice for Cookie was Taraji.

• Members

I would guess that all the press articles about the new popularity of black actors on TV or leading in TV series likely upset her, as it seems like she's extremely unlikely at this point to get much work in said shows, or even in Tyler Perry-esque productions.

• Members

IA, Carl. Even if Mo'Nique was never in the running for Cookie, it must gnaw at her to see shows like "Empire," "Scandal" and "How to Get Away With Murder" break out while her Oscar-winning behind remains on the couch, waiting for the phone to ring.

But, you know, Hollywood has always loved a good redemption story -- and the fact that she is AA makes no difference in that situation. She'll have to eat major crow, of course, and do some things that most might believe beneath an Oscar winner, but with the right attitude adjustment -- and, of course, a better team managing her -- I think she can get back on top. It's happened before for other actors who were shunned and [!@#$%^&*]-canned by the Industry, it can happen again.

Archived