FANT4STIC: Fantastic Four Reboot

Cheap21

• Members

well thats not happening. I think it will be based on Xmen but not the actual Xmen. I think they will follow Marvel's lead by having a shared universe and the big characters (Storm, Jean, Scott, Wolverine) will stay with the films and the tv show will focus on a different set of characters. A tv show wouldnt have the budget to do special effects so most of the flashy ones would be out of the running. Look at what Marvel has to do. SHIELD and Agent Carter

Blasphemy! X2: Xmen United was the sh-t!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right I was definitely intrigued and I've rewatched the trailer several times since it dropped...it looks effing epic to me.

I really don't get the haters on this one? They say it doesn't have that "Fantastic Four" feel to it? What pray tell was the F4 feel? If anything I always found them to be boring/gdull. There really wasn't anything compelling about them. I've heard people say it was the "family" aspect that the trailer is mist...what does that even mean? Families these days come in all shapes and sizes. Why If Sue and Johnny Storm are adopted brother and sister and Sue and Richard get involved/fall in love with each other isn't that what "makes a family"?

I'm just not getting all the downpour so far. I'm more excited about this than Avengers that's for damn sure.

• Members

What made the FF unique in their early years, compared to most of the angst in superherodom to follow, is that as much of a burden as it was to have these new powers, it was also something they embraced. Reed's powers just helped further his scientific goals. Sue continued on with her life. Ben had a lot of fun, as did Johnny.

This just seems like more of the same angst and self-serious woe that three dozen superhero movies have shown.

• Members

To me that's more reasonable than what you described. I usually hate IGN but they have a few people who actually are intelligent once in a while when it comes to their movie analysis and something one of them said struck me.... When you think about what actually happens to them it's not just some routing fall on the playground. It's axtually pretty traumatic so to me I like they might be exploriinf that reaction

• Members

The trailer seemed more gritty and serious in town, as opposed to the family friendly element most people come to associate with the team. Its not about looking different. The trailer didnt evoke a family feel and thats mainly bc we didnt really see/hear them interact as such in this. Im sure that will come later on, but thats definitely not what this was going for and I think people are justifed in pointing that out. Doesnt make it bad by any means but it is what it is

• Members

For me the overall tone is just a little too dark for the FF. It seems superhero movie makers watched all of the Marvel success stories and then said "Hmm no, lets do The Dark Knight instead." Clearly Batman is the most successful of all these characters when it comes to movies but he is Batman and therefore the dark tone sort of fits. Then you have other movies trying to make Superman into Batman and now it looks like FF into some sort of Batmanish dark trailer. The Guardians got along just fine without being gloomy and it looks like Avengers 2 wants to get serious also. I think all these directors just need to go wait in line to direct the next Batman movie and allow for fun superhero movies to be made by those who want to make them.

• Members

I guess I feel like that reaction has already been explored in a million superhero movies. I don't need to see more sad teary eyes in closeup, or more ponderous downbeat woes of superhero sorrow. That's the whole reason the Spider-Man movies seemingly exist. If they're doing this, then why even bother?

• Members

Spiderman is different though which I can understand. He's always been light hearted and funny. The superhero who cracks jokes that anger the villians yet amuse the audience. i've never really seen F4 as this hilarious slapstick humor filled type of world. The only time I've gotten that vibe is when Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm are teasing each other which is every so often.

But we'll see I guess. I personally like Chris Evans as the Johnny but that was mostly because he's the typical hot frat boy who is amusing to look at. I'm curious to see what Michael B Jordan will bring to the role. I already love him and Miles Teller from That Awkward moment and Kate Mara was pretty good in House of Cards. So we'll see.

So long as the movie is exciting and has a compelling story I'm down. Humor can always spring up naturally down the road.

• Members

It's not that FF is hilarious humor, it's just that the origins of the team were never just more misery and self-hatred and emo woe. They were embraced by the public and the government, and other than Ben (who tried to be happy-go-lucky to ignore the moments where he felt like a freak), their everyday lives weren't that affected.

You'd have scenes like college punks annoying Johnny by dumping water on his head, rather than what you'd get in today's comics world, with Johnny being beaten to death and Sue being raped by Reed's doppleganger, or whatever.

But the comic did eventually become a misery pit, like everything else in comics, so if that's what they want to market, I"m not surprised.

• Members

That actually happened in the comics? Wow.....

I'm sure the movie won't go quite that far (at least I hope not for an initial outing). But I do understand what you mean. I do think my mood depends the day too. Some days I wanna have faith in humanity that we wouldn't outcast people like the F4 or the X-Men...another part of me knows all to well how human beings tend to reject anything that isn't the same as them or beyond their comprehension. Even I struggle with that in one specific topic but thats for another thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived