X-Men Apocalypse Thread

Cheap21

• Members

I just wish that they did a reboot with X-Men where they started from the inception of X-Men with Professor X and the original five (Warren, Jean, Hank, Scott, and Bobby) against Magneto at the infamous battle at the missile base at Cape Canaveral or something along the lines of that. Then from there do a second movie adding the next class of X-Men: Storm, Wolverine, Kitty, Rogue, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Polaris, Havok, Psylocke, Forester, Gambit, Dazzler, etc. Then do a 3rd film based on the modern interpretation of the 90s cartoon when Jubilee was introduced or with the Shi'ar empire.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah having Hugh Jackman in these films absolutely ruined the timeline. What's worse is that they're introducing all these characters for Apocalypse but then what? I mean after you've brought on this villain there's not much more you can dig into...

Unless they're really gonna once and for all treat the first trilogy as an "alternate timeline" and continue with all these new actors....I'd love to see a real Dark Phoenix saga. Or

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique is steadily ruining this franchise with each film she appears in. This doesn't even feel like X-Men, but like Mocking Jay Part II or something else.

Am I missing something, when has Mystique ever cared about uniting the X-Men? Maybe it's the 90's cartoon version and X Men Evolution but I always felt that Mystique was a primary antagonist for the X-Men. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Shes calling people out on being fake. She got alot of criticism for Aaliyah and isnt here for those same people praising her when they see her as Storm. She comes across very arrogant and cocky when she has yet to prove herself in the role

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Well, that's what happens when you have one of the biggest stars in Hollywood.  If Jennifer's career didn't take off the way it did, Mystique would not be this big of a character.   She clearly was the breakout actor from "First Class". 

• Members

But FC heavily featured her as well. She was lead and they completely changed Mystique's backstory to make her more important to the franchise than she ever was as this lead heroine. That was before JL blew up so IDA that her career taking off is why things are the way they are bc they were clearly setting her up for big things back then. I hate that she doesn't play Mystique onscreen but rather JL. She's never been a good fit for the role and the writing hasn't helped

• Members

She's excellent in the role, AFAIC - she gave that character new depth whereas onscreen the cinematic Mystique was little more than a glorified cameo with Rebecca Romijn in the role. Jennifer Lawrence was already coming up big-time when she got the FC job, and Mystique's history in the comics dates well back to those years and earlier. Chris Claremont and other writers have made her more and more important over the decades, with lots of retcons. The comic book Mystique is a complicated antihero with a lot of layers, and when they cast a real actress and created a real character in FC they were finally able to begin to reflect that as opposed to using her as a sexy pin-up gag.

The only incongruity is the continuity, but FC had to remake the continuity out of spare parts because of how fucked-up Fox had made those movies. That's why Mystique filled that role in the story, because she has a long history in the Marvel Universe and because they had literally very few major characters to work with. And for a patch job, it worked.

The marketing is slanted towards her because she's a huge star, but they need to learn to move on from her when she does, same as they need to do with Hugh Jackman. Unfortunately they'll keep looking for big stars vs. the team which is why the X-Men properties still need to revert back to Marvel and get a full reboot. FC was good, DOFP was good and I hope this will be good but Bryan Singer is still a guy enamored of a handful of stars and his dumb black leather outfits. The X-Men will never be totally right until they're handled right from Day 1. I love the new cast of the last several movies and they've got good kids in the roles for this film but it's all for naught without the MCU, IMO.

Archived