Bill Cosby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Camille Cosby: "Damn fool!  I TOLD you that blind act wasn't gonna work!  What, you think because yo' ass was on TV every week that you as good as Sidney Poitier?!  Well, I hope all that booty you snatched was worth it, Bill, 'cuz now yo' Black ass is goin' to jail for the rest of yo' muthafuckin' natural life!"

(At least, that's what she says, in my mind.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Vee, I think, made an excellent point some time ago that the show and the cast's places in TV history is secure regardless of Bill's criminal behavior.  Moreover, thanks to DVD's, streaming and websites like YT, I doubt the show will fade from our collective memory anytime soon.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I was a child who grew up in the 1980s. At that time, Bill Cosby was all over the place. Not just on his sitcom, but Jell-O commercials, Fat Albert reruns, Picture Pages and as the spokesman for Safety Town. He was everywhere. Then you realize what he was doing at the same time in real life...it's just sick. HE'S sick.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Marsha Warfield can probably speak to the emotions of many in the business who either consciously or unconsciously enabled Cosby over decades.

I'm seeing on social media that many are angry that they feel stripped of a show that was either a part of their childhoods or a touchstone in their lives.  I guess I have already worked through those emotions last year and now I'm just weary of those thoughts emotions and it's more of a sad resignation that The Cosby Show is now tainted for me (as Malcolm Jamal Warner once intimated) especially when I remember the time I was able to read the Pilot script as a grad student and the joy and admiration that I felt pouring over those pages of dialogue and actions that were written with such precision, any actor reciting those words never needed to add or subtract a single word-- everything was on the page!

Then I remember that writers wrote those words, it wasn't as if Bill Cosby wrote the scripts and I can appreciate the hard work of the crew and cast and think that all have likely long ago moved onto other jobs many years ago.  I doubt that they need any reference to The Cosby Show to get their next job, although it is a big career highlight to have to leave off a resume (and honestly I wouldn't leave it off).

Something that a lot of people may not be able to understand--the work on the page is different from the work on the screen.  It is unlikely that I'll be able to watch the stories unfolding on the screen but I can appreciate the work, at least the excellent technical work that got it there.