YRBB

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • Members

This was pretty good. I have no idea who the star is or what he has been in before, but he is better in the role than Ben Affleck. I only watched one episode but they did a good job of setting him up as this genuinely nice do-gooder living in this dirty world of corruption and conspiracy. I think the whole street vigiliante thing has some dated aspects to it. Both in here and Batman they have to create these worlds of rampant crime while the real NY is sparkling and reletively crime free. This is especially true in the area no longer called Hell's Kitchen where on the very streets they pretend to show here you will actually find Chipotle and Starbuck and gentrified bars. But they can't do crime stories about exorbitant condo prices so these 1970s era nightmare cities will have to do.

Fight scenes were good, the crime was grim, the story is solid, the acting is good, the scenery sets the mood. TV show well done.

• Members

Finally saw the pilot and really, really enjoyed it. Charlie Cox's acting was terrific (equal parts charming and sexy with dark and damaged) and he sure does look very, very good. I had no idea Deborah Ann Woll was going to be in this as a main character but I'm excited to see her play a different character to Jessica and see where she takes it. I'm glad Karen is nice and sweet but also has another side to her, a part that gets her into trouble. As for Foggy -- sigh. I am just so tired of the overweight guy who likes money is there for comic relief and to support the beautiful, manly lead guy stereotype. I really do hope they do more with him than that because I can see myself liking the actor. They set up the premise of the series pretty nicely and the action sequences were well done. Also, fascinated by Matt's Catholicism, in a way that I was also fascinated by Scully's Catholicism. I hope they do a lot with that.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

Episode 2

Great second episode. I knew where all of it was going with Jack, but the actor playing him gave a great performance. You just gotta love how sweet and loving he was with Matt. That moment where Jack rushes into the locker room to change and hears the crowd cheering for him was heartbreaking. Just beautiful.

I loved Claire. I wonder if they'll keep her around as Matt's go-to nurse, since she has seen his face. I hope so. Her exasperated reactions to Matt were hilarious.

I thought I was gonna hate Karen & Foggy hanging out but they were charmingly played and written scenes. DAW is a little too similar to Jessica with her mannerisms at times but overall pretty good.

The final scene was wonderfully shot with its handheld camera and supposed one-shot. Very tense and exciting. Marvelous.

• Members

Episode 3

The previous episode featured Daredevil heavily. This episode, it's all about Matt. I love that he was sitting outside the church but walked away when the priest revealed that he knows it was him confessing in episode 1.

Healy was a fun villain du jour. His end/death was horrible and I really felt Matt's pain when he realized the man had killed himself.

I immediately took a liking to Urich and definitely did not see it coming when Karen walked into his office. I guess I should have but I digress. lol Karen's gonna get herself into so much trouble!

Finally, Fisk appears! His scene, also the final one of the episode, was so simple but so heavy with atmosphere and threat, you can't look away. I can tell D'Onofrio will be fantastic in this.

• Members

Just a general observation: The show is so, SO well acted. My God. The scenes between Marianna and Fisk? Fisk's assistant? Matt and Claire, of course! If your weakest link is Jessica from TRUE BLOOD (who is pretty damn good), then you're in a good place. I just love that there's no sign of cliche, predictable acting.

Episode 4

Rosario Dawson is my boo. Love her. SO glad to see her play a big part in this episode. I nearly cried when Matt's voice broke when telling Claire she almost got killed.

Urich is saving Karen's ass, big time. I'm glad she's listening to him and realizing that she needs to be very careful. Her behavior could almost be annoying but they're writing it well.

It was so nice how they tied in the guy Matt threw from the room to the Russians, and how it's all expanding and becoming more and more complicated.

My God. That ending scene. Jesus Christ. Fisk is one nutso puppy dog. What a psycho! It was so interesting getting to know him and explore him through Marianna. Also, wonderful how he basically spent the entire episode being shy, awkward, embarrassed, and a bit flirtatious, only to turn completely mental at the end. 'Turn' being used, loosely, of course.

• Members

YAY! Not happy that DeKnight won't be showrunning the second season, at all. The second season is not the time for those kinds of changes but I suppose it couldn't be helped. He could always come back for Season 3 if at all possible or if the show isn't as well received. But super excited that it will be coming back (not that there was much doubt).

I think this is a very good point. The whole thing does feel very 80s/90s New York and that's just not the vibe New York really gives off anymore. It's really the only thing I am not too happy with on the show so far. But, what are you gonna do? At least they can create an atmosphere! lol