The SON baby

Juliajms

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so sorry you are going through this! You are going to stay in my thoughts and prayers for the next few months, for sure! Hopefully the diet plan won't be too bad for you. And like Marceline said, you can always remind little SoapBoy about this whenever he acts up. ;):wub:

• Members

Cookie Lyon: I did 17 hard years in prison for this family. I want some respect!

Me: I gave up sour patch kids for 3 months to bring you into this world boy! laugh.png I guess we all have to work with what we've got.

Thanks Mr. Vixen. I'll be seeing the nutritionist next week and getting a diet plan. I believe I can stick it out for two months. If not, there are medications they can use to help just like regular diabetics.

Hi Q! Yes, this is caused by hormones that the placenta gives off. They interfere with insulin. The further along a woman is the more hormones and the harder it is to get blood sugar under control. They may have to take the baby a little early because of this because if the blood sugar isn't under control when he's born, his blood sugar can crash. It's generally treatable even when that happens. This can also lead to babies getting too big. You know how every now and again you see a 16 pound baby in the news? That's generally the result of untreated GD.

Once the placenta is out, I'll be back to normal, although I have a higher risk of getting type two in the next 10-20 years. I can live with that. I'll just take this as a wake up call to be more moderate with sugar in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for asking AllMyDays. :-) We're doing pretty good. I'm almost 32 weeks and not feeling too uncomfortable yet. The baby is measuring normally in terms of size. I'll have a growth ultra sound on the 20th, so we can get a better look at how things are going. I've been doing good with keeping my blood sugar under control. I thought it would be more of a struggle since I have a sweet tooth. Then I see stories like the one about the 14 pound baby born in Florida and sugar doesn't seem as sweet. My heart really goes out to this last little guy:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/02/07/mom-delivers-14-pound-baby-naturally-after-discovering-pregnancy-at-8-5-months/

Thank god, it looks like he'll be ok, but the blood sugar crash that comes from being born to a mom with unchecked GD can be fatal. Also, I can hardly believe she didn't have a C-Section. Damn! unsure.png

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Quick update. Things are looking good. I'll be giving birth between now and April 8th. They've checked me to see if my body is making any progress in terms of dilation. Not much happening, unfortunately. If nothing happens in the next couple of weeks, I'll be induced.

Then my doctor told me she's going to Africa for two weeks, so she won't be delivering the baby. That was a bit disheartening, but not a big deal in the scheme of things, I guess.

Archived