Janet Jackson Appreciation Thread

KateW

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Janet's new single, "No Sleeep". Not what I expected but somewhat charming. Nice to hear something new from her.

ETA: And it seems to be stuck in my head now.... Well played, Janet.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

I don't think this is the right choice for a comeback single, but it's not that bad and maybe she doesn't care. She's almost 50, so it's not likely she'll have a mainstream hit at this point.

I was hoping for a faster dance track to remind us of what she used to do best. The boring ballads of her later years helped lead to her commercial downfall, IMO. The ballads on All For You, Damita, Jo, and 20YO were tortuous.

I really hope this new album and tour is a return to form for her, I think this is her last chance for a real comeback.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The song itself still puts me to sleep. Also, what has she done to her face in recent years? Granted she's a Jackson so bad surgery is par the course, but something seems to have been altered in the last year or two.

I hope the album isn't indicative of this single, and Jam and Lewis have found their grove with her again. Their chemistry with her ended as far back as 1993 as far as I'm concerned and Janet just hasn't found the right folks to work with.

• Members

I recall during the Janet album era that the record company wanted If to be the 1st single..but she wanted that's the way love goes. It turned out well..but I could have seen IF as the lead singer...a bridge between rhythm nation and Janet...just like Miss you Much was a nice bridge between Control and Rythm nation.

I was in 4th grade when RN hit it big... 1989 to 1990 was a fun era of music...with janet, madonna, Paula abdul, and early Mariah Carey :)

• Members

That's The Way Love Goes was a great instinct on her part though, and totally unexpected at the time. It did end up becoming her biggest hit after all.

After Herb Ritts forced her to explore a fun sexy side in the Love Will Never Do video and it attracted a different type of attention to her work, I can see why she wanted the lead single from the followup album at the time to be more sensual and an opportunity to show off a more sexual image. She needed something more lowkey to help do that, and If wouldn't have provided the same punch if she did it with an uptempo dance track.

I've also always found Control and janet. to be better albums than Rhythm Nation (which had some great singles, but the other two have aged better IMO).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Janet Jackson - Unbreakable

Yaaaaas! To be released on October 02!

The tracklist:

1. Unbreakable
  2. Burnitup! (Feat. Missy Elliott)
  3. Dammn Baby
  4. The Great Forever
  5. Shoulda Known Better
  6. After You Fall
  7. Broken Hearts Heal