Janet Jackson Appreciation Thread

KateW

• Members

I always loved this too. The "tough girl" posturing of WHYDFML and Nasty Boys doesn't wear well when they're playing as much as those songs were played for a long time. The playfulness of this is infectious, and while the video always looks like some amateur production, it has a certain charm.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I do think she's underrated to a degree, and I don't know if we can necessarily blame the Super Bowl fiasco for ending her pop career, but something seemed to go wrong with her career after her divorce from Rene Elizondo. I know a lot of people over the years have alleged he was a big part of her music when they were together and there's been a noticeable change ever since they separated.

She had a great string of music videos and pop hits, but she never really got the same type of attention, global fame, and media domination that Michael and Madonna got for much of that same era.

• Members

The videos for "Alright" and "If" are still big favorites of mine. My mother was enchanted by the big band stuff in "Alright", but I don't think she ever hung around long enough to spot Cyd Charisse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgeAUejUZhg

I think Janet touched that global fame in the '90s, but she mishandled it after making it to the top. IMO after janet. she had nothing left to prove to anyone. But on her next album she tried to set a new trend, it didn't sell as well and she panicked.

Edited by Vee

• Members

She got caught up with the sex kitten image after Herb Ritts (most famous for his photos with Madonna and 80's/90's super models) made her explore her sexuality for the first time with the Love Will Never Do video. It was cute when she explored it more on the janet. album, but then she never grew out of that phase and kept doing the same routine over and over again. It got very tiring.

Janet wanted to wear a dress for that video, but Herb insisted she wear a tank top and a pair of jeans, and suddenly a new Janet emerged.

• Members

I felt sorry for her with the Super Bowl fiasco, that she got all the blame, that Timberlake left her hanging out to dry and essentially used her and black fans when he needed support for his career and then ran away, but I also felt like if she'd had a stronger career, she would have survived it. I think somewhere along the way she lost that sense of identity and name value that someone like Madonna had, even if Madonna also stopped being as big of a draw by that point.

I haven't seen the Alright video in ages. So much fun; nice way to honor legends too.

• Members

I never thought of Janet as any kind of singer... like Paula Abdul, her true gift lies in dancing and choreography. I always thought she carried herself with class (even after the super bowl thing) and I also thought she showed great restraint when coming under fire during the whole Paris/Michael's will fiasco. So many hated on her for slapping that little brat Paris (which to me,, looked like her trying to snatch her phone)... but damn, if a grown person can't discipline their teenage neice in the absence of a parent, then what is the world coming to! You know that entitled little brat was givin Janet 50 kinds of sass that day, and there is no doubt in my mind she deserved it. And then with the whole thing about Michael's will, people calling her a golddigger, and accusing her of stooping to Jermaine's level, when all the while she was married to a freaking billionaire! She will always hold a place in the heart of those of us who grew up in the 70's, as the whole Penny story on Good Times was one of the most powerful things in TV history. And might I say, she has one of the prettiest smiles, EVER.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Miss Janet has always been one of my favorite artists. Rhythm Nation 1814 spoke to me at the time, and yes, it is dated and earnest, but at the time, it was influential. I remember one review likening it to Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" in it's exploration of the day. It's also the album, IMHO, where the interludes worked the best. (I think the interludes are the only shot we ever have of seeing the "real janet," as there is always a high level of artifice surrounding the Jackson family). I was also into janet.; it always felt as if we were both exploring similar issues at similar times during the Control/RhythmNation/janet. days.

She hasn't put out anything since 2008's Discipline, other than greatest hits lp's. Damita Jo happened around the time of the Super Bowl fiasco (and yes, JT left her high and dry), and ever since, she's been away from the airwaves, a victim of the double standard for flaunting sexuality. (Is this NOT a few years AFTER Diana Ross fondled lil Kim's pasty at the MTV awards?)

Although a huge fan, I'm not immune to the criticism. Her voice is thin. Her albums can get samey, especially with the ballads, and in later albums, her voice is lost in all the production. The sexuality bit has worn tired, and it is particularly weary on Discipline, although there are several songs I enjoy on that album, as I do on all her albums. Unfortunately, after a big splash with the first single, nothing else was heard since.

I also enjoy Janet's one-offs like her collaboration with Shaggy for "Stella" and her collaboration with Luther for "Mo' Money" as well as the early collaboration with Herb Alpert, "Diamonds."

I particularly liked when Janet rocked out, as in "Black Cat," "If," and "What About."

And the whole lip-synching bit? I didn't really care. I was there to see Janet dance.

Edited by cct

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Janet's announced she's working on new music! I don't know why I should get excited about that, considering her last two or three albums, but I am, especially since it seems Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis might be involved -- and that's what she's always needed.

• Members

Hopefully she's inspired to put out something with quality after her long hiatus. Actually, I do think Jimmy Jam and Terr Lewis were actually part of her deterioration, by the time of 2001's All For You, their chemistry with Janet had clearly gone away and Janet needed to step away from them. The problem is - she chose the wrong people. The fact she gave Jermaine Dupri so much control of her music career for a while was not a good decision on her part. Luckily she split with him personally and professionally a while ago....

The rumours are she's hoping to do a Rhythm Nation part 2 (have music with a socially conscious message). We'll see how that goes - though after singing about sex for a long time, she needs a new theme.

Anyway, in terms of Janet history, this is actually a big week for her. 22 years ago in 1993 she scored the biggest hit of her career when That's The Way Love Goes hit #1 - where it would remain for 8 week. The accompanying janet. album would also be the most successful of her career.

Edited by BetterForgotten