HBO: The Comeback

YRBB

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Welcome back, Valerie Cherish! My God, what a wonderful command Kudrow has of the character.

I though that 12 minute opening scene was the perfect way to catch us up on what's been going on so far in Valerie's life (Lisa V being a particularly funny part). LOL at Valerie's crew being amateurs that have no idea what they're doing and Valerie afraid of pushing any buttons on the laptop.

I was stunned when Valerie ended up getting punched. That was, forgive me, so gut-wrenching. The fact that the crew pointed out they could record her with their phones was such a good way of showing the changes that have taken place since Valerie's last comeback. And just when you think they're throwing her a bone by having Juna recognize her, Juna goes on and on about being unable to meet for the next four months because she's working so much.

Yep. Paulie G. is still one of the nastiest, most hateful pieces of excrement I've ever seen on anything & my desire to see him suffer is as strong as it has always been. I was sort of hoping he wouldn't be in this but, hey, the main villain is the main villain. Kudrow nearly brought me to tears as she had to read those filthy things about her during the audition.

Glad to see that Valerie and Mark at least still have a sex life and that the bedroom camera is back.

• Members

I really enjoyed the premiere...

Lisa Vanderpump was the perfect choice for Valerie to play off of on the Housewives franchise.

Valerie getting punched was so, so awful, so painful, so real...Valerie keeps getting punched and then keeps going because she wants it so badly, such a grand analogy for her.

Valerie's 'cold read' was incredible. Put that one on the Emmy reel, Lisa Kudrow. Valerie is a real creation.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

That was a fantastic season and a fantastic series finale.

When Val's husband, Marc, said "there you are," bringing a tear to my eye, it summed up the entire arc, Valerie found herself again, she cut through all her own bullsh*t, won her Emmy and found out what really made her happy.

This is a show that's sometimes uncomfortable to watch because it cuts to the bone, and the ratings have been terrible, but Lisa Kudrow has much to be proud of with this series, it is her finest work.

• Members

I was going to come in and say the same things. Amazing season. Excellent finale. It brought tears to my eyes. So the ratings were low? Even by HBO's standards?

I thought the final scenes were pure brilliance. And the angles and shots they took were extraordinarily beautiful. Kudos to Lisa Kudrow and everyone who worked on this show. (except for Seth Rogen.. whom I can't stand... but I think that's the whole point of his involvement LOL)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I'm finally ready to continue watching. In a way, I just don't want it to end, even as I'm hungry to watch more.

It was lovely to see Jane return (she has such a calm presence, and clearly a professional) and it was nice of them to give her so much time. I get a knot in my stomach every time I see Paulie G (I hate him that much) and him making that comment about Valerie having to do better than her best was so low. I'm glad he apologized and looked like a complete mess, although I also felt a little sorry for him. He truly is a broken individual.

Archived