AMC: Fear The Walking Dead

YRBB

• Members

The reviews said it would be slow.   I found it borderline boring for the most part.  This family and their typical TV parents just didn't do it for me.  The mother was your basic stock TV female character.   There was basically no difference between her and say the detective from The Killing.  The daughter was a complete waste of time.  The father was dull as dirt.  The only one I found interesting with the star, the son.   I wish they didn't kill off the drug dealer so fast, because I found him interesting with his double life as a goody two shoes kid. 

I think the biggest mistake was centering the show around kids and this family.   TWD has the power demos without kids for the most part (ok, Carl).   TV always thinks you need kids but kids tend to be dull because they have TV kid problems: moody, snotty, young romance...we've seen it all before.    Hopefully next week the show picks up.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This show was SOOOOO boring. I stuck till the end bc I now most pilots tend to be slow as they set things up but I dont think they needed to go this slow bc its a spinoff and we already know this world.. I'll give it a couple of episodes before I write it off

• Members

Omfg I personally loved it! Frank Dillane (Nick) is the reason to watch LMAO I find him riveting to watch! This will put him on the map for sure. Loved all the warped, cinematic sequences of him traipsing around the city. The scenes btwn him and Calvin were especially chilling & well done. I like that they took the reveal of everything slow and didn't go straight to the action and gore. It was very much about establishing the atmosphere and overall mystery of everything which I dug.

Love love love that it takes place in Los Angeles!

I don't like the Mom or the smug sister actresses. BORING! Loved the interracial coupling of the sister & that guy, though could they have come across any more dull together? There was no fire between them!

ETA: Oh and I loved seeing AMC alum Elizabeth Rodriguez once again on my screen! She's wonderful on #OITNB and was great here. She stays getting her checks. You go!

• Members

I have it on DVR and will try to watch later, but I don't know why AMC can't be more creative than this.  How many zombie shows does one network need?  And why this dullard female lead was chosen is completely beyond me.  She works best as a tired ass prostitute who's cool with all the johns.  

• Members

I find it so interesting that TWD is so demographically pure.  It has something like a 60% rate for demographic desirability.   No other shows come close.   You probably have to go to golf and the target 25-54 wealthy white men audience to so easily find the demographic you are looking for.    TWD is the best example of why the networks are the true walking dead: they are all desperate for demos, and yet they all passed on this.   Had they accepted it, they would have mandated changes to make it undesirable.  

Is Kim Dickens the mother?   If so, then I have not seen Jesus recently.   I didn't care for her.

• Members

Yes, she's the mother.

I saw a funny article awhile back. Someone connected with the franchise said that if the success continues they'd eventually have "The Walking Dead: China". His comment was tongue in cheek, but I suspect not far from the truth. I would post the article if I could remember where I saw it.

• Members

Eh, not a fan of her -- only thing I ever saw her in was Treme and her character/story annoyed the hell out of me more than anyone else. Only good thing I ever hear about her in is Deadwood and that was a slow show for me that I couldn't get into and the fleeting moments I saw of it, I only recall Ian McShane.

Not surprised at all by the numbers, it definitely did not have the bite of TWD first episode out which had a lot going on and captivated me. We'll see how the next two episodes do in terms of me watching. If I can't get pulled, might just binge the next three and then decide if I want to try S2 out next year....

Did they air the opener at Comic COn? I can't remember.

• Members

TWD: China would be more interesting than this, TWD: L.A. This show seems to be just a very long, run of your mill zombie movie. TWD is boring as all *uck but at least it's different. This like Parenthood but you know, ZoMbiES!!! Not here for it.

But I'm with you on Kim Dickens, loved her in Gone Girl. In fact I'd say they hired her to hide some of the shortcomings of the script/concept.

Archived