HBO: The Leftovers

YRBB

• Members

Anybody watch? I just did the pilot. Sad, dour, a bit depressing, but really, really well produced, acted and directed. Captures a lot of that wonderful, post-apocalyptic madness of The Walking Dead, although we really aren't talking about post-apocalyptic anything here. What's really painful, and gripping, about the show is that this apparently random, unexplained event hasn't physically destroyed/altered the world the characters live in (in fact, it all is pretty much the same) but, instead, is severely changing the people left behind in some pretty terrifying ways.

I'm getting lots of LOST flashes, it's true, with the Guilty Remnant, and the stuff with Holy Wayne. Justin Theroux was great as the lead, reminding me of the brilliance of Andrew Lincoln as Rick. There's a montage near the end where the seemingly happy Tom jumps into a pool and lets out a big, prolonged scream of pain and suffering that was particularly nice.

SO interested to see where this goes from here. I have high hopes.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I've only seen the pilot and I found it gripping as well. There's a palpable if not purposeful echo of 9/11. I must say, I was filled with an annoying impatience and I was irked with myself for having the urge to just marathon it once the season is over. But I don't want to do that. Are we two or three episodes in?

I was surprised to see Liv Tyler, by the way.

And those poor dogs...

• Members

I thought about marathoning the show as well but it may be too much of a sad thing. It's only three episodes in, so catching up would be easy, I think.

And agreed on Liv Tyler! The thing is, she was really good.

• Members

From what the writers have said, you'll never have a clue as to what's going on. ;)

It is exceptionally well produced/acted, and I do enjoy it. But I could never marathon it--partly because it is so morose, but also because...I hate to say, it's oddly somewhat dull in parts as well (and I tend to LOVE slow shows...)

• Members

I was prepared to hate the third episode as soon as I realized it was going to be all about Reverend Jamison but it did have a great actor in its center and there were several really great moments. I question the wisdom of doing an episode like this so early on but I was riveted by the end. It was great that they revealed Nora and Laurie are his sisters and how he was in the car accident close to Sam and his mother from the opening sequence. Seeing Donna from THE WEST WING in such a horrible state hit me right in the gut. I especially liked that moment after his last bet, how he smiled and then we saw where the dice had landed. Also when he snapped and attacked the thief. And Eccleston gave really good hate-look at the end.

Are we supposed to?

It is still the beginning, though. I do hope they fine-tune things and get even better as they go because I see a lot of potential.

• Members

Have you read Perrotta's book? I liked it, but not as much as the other books of his (Election, Little Children both have great film versions.) He gave a great CBC radio interview on the show and his involvement (he says he handles more of the everyday stuff and leaves the Lost stuff to Lindelof...) He seemed proud of it but did end with saying slightly cryptically that he hopes it's a success but he'd rather people read his book (I guess that makes sense...)

• Members

I need to read the book, but I'm loving this show so far. I've seen all four episodes and I really like the way it's been slowly introducing us to the characters and revealing their relationships to each other. The third episode was a standout in terms of suspense, imo. From this last episode, it seems like Christine might be having the Antichrist. I'm also wondering if Laurie won't be rebelling against the Guilty Remnant soon, especially if she gets more glimpses of how the event has affected her children.

• Members

Gladys' stoning was brutal but it was very interesting to see that Kevin was willing to get justice for her, despite his personal feelings for the Guilty Remnant. It also came at a time when Kevin and Jill showed some much needed tenderness towards each other.

They've done such a good job making me wish that Laurie finds a way out of the GR. We've seen several signs of her resolve weakening throughout the episodes but she always manages to come back stronger. I do feel a little bit more sympathy for the GR after this episode but I still want her to get the fu.ck out of there--and now Meg's joined fully as well! Ugh.

The stuff with Kevin's shirts was darkly funny, just like last week's "who stole baby Jesus" stuff. I think I'm going to enjoy these small subplots if they keep doing them. Kevin buying more beers while drunk and then indirectly threatening the dry cleaner was a superbly tense scene. Thank God he didn't lose it.

I had a feeling Patty would talk in the episode. How can she manage to alternate between ultra sweet, comforting, and nasty AF within seconds?

Kevin and Nora ran into each other! Nora was pretty funny in the scene. I want to see more of these two. And I get the feeling they just might go there with Kevin & Jill's BF one day.... they are definitely hinting that he's attracted.

Laurie blowing the whistle in Matt's face in lieu of her being able to scream/voice her feelings was a beautiful acting moment. Amy Brenneman did an amazing job conveying that.

And Gladys being unceremoniously burned... sad.

• Members

Oh crap, so THAT'S who I saw sliding into the crematorium last night. The Fios box in my bedroom doesn't have a guide so I don't always know what I'm watching. Wow, can hardly wait to catch the full episode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I really enjoyed the Nora-centric episode. She really transformed through the course of it! I love how she can be so funny and depressed at the same time. Guess Wayne wasn't the crook I thought he was. lol

My friend and I are adopting the I am/am not have-a-hooker-shoot-me-sad phrase for our every day lives. :lol:

Kevin & Nora are so damn cute together.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Lindelof on the decision to end the show after its third season. While I'm sure low ratings played a part in it, he's right -- it feels like the story of these characters is coming to an end.

The second season was phenomenal (some of the best acting on any show out there), managed to bring things together in a spectacular way, and I have never seen a show that makes its characters suffer so much be able to end both its seasons on a positive note and make it feel organic as well!

Whatever they have for Season 3, I am ready.

Archived