Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

Even when Cookie made her first appearance in his office, Lucious had the look of admiration. He introduced her at the party as Ms Cookie LYONS although they are divorced. He has called her a queen and the heart and soul of Empire. I thought he was very sincere. Yes, he still loves her. My one regret for this not bring on HBO is that the love scene won't be as hot and sweaty as it could be. Cause it's going to happen. Lol

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Taraji P Henson just rules! Person of Interests loss is Empire's Gain! I like that even though Cookie is tough and will cut a bitch, the love she feels for her son Jamal shows her human side. Lucious still has a soft side for Cookie.. lots of unresolved business between the two of them, plus they did share three sons together.. and I like that she has a natural business acumen.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

Back to the damn show, people!

I never stated nor even implied the BS you guys are talking about. Are you bored? How in the sam hell do I speak on who's more homophopic when I only know first hand what goes on in the black community?

Let's get back on topic. Cookie Lyons could very well be the best character on TV right now. This character had the potential to be very bad or exceptional. She's EXCEPTIONAL. TP puts her heart and soul into this woman and CBS' loss is certainly Fox's gain. I don't need her in every scene because the show is just that good, but I want her in every scene. She is a true bad ass without being OTT. I have a feeling TP/Cookie is going to take us on the emotional roller coaster ride of our lives. My body is ready!

• Members

Wow wow wow.

When did a whole hour pass? Do I really have to wait until next Wednesday for the next episode? OMG.

Cookie Lyon is phenomenal. I am in love. SO strong and yet never over the top. She sold every single moment with talent and charisma. Bitch had me bawling 12 minutes into the pilot when she gave little Jamal that look and told him that she knows he's different but she will always be there for him. DAMN. I think that's the fastest any show has ever made me cry. Her walking out of the jail and announcing that she wants what's hers? Epic. I really really really really LOVE that she genuinely loves and cares for her son, while also using his sexuality for her own purposes.

Jamal's story (surprisingly, yet wonderfully, the main story of the show, along with the power struggle for control of the company) was SO hard-hitting and heartbreaking. When he put on his mother's shoes, that wasn't cross dressing. That was a young kid with no concept of what sexuality is trying out and experimenting in the world around him..... I can't believe I saw something so real on network TV. The trash can scene was horrifying. I am so sorry for anyone who has ever experienced something like this. Yay to Jamal and Precious being buddies!

Hakeem is fascinating to watch. DIED when Cookie beat him with a broom. As soon as he called her a bitch, I was screaming for him to RUN, RUN!!!! laugh.png

The only thing I was sorta not that into was the subplot about Lucious' friend and his murder. It was a shock to see Lucious murder him in cold blood though, even if you pretty much knew something like that would happen. Still, I hope this comes back to haunt him. And Anika needs to be fleshed out much more if she is to be an entity.

How fantastic was Howard? Such a nasty, reprehensible man (his rampant homophobia, pitting his sons against each other) and yet you can't hate him because of the actor. He's totally Blake laugh.png I am not happy to hear that he had maybe three years because of his ALS. I don't want to lose him in 3 years (presumably) but then again... the war could intensify then lol

Andre is one hot muthafucker, and Jamal too. The business stuff was all the beginning here but you can tell sh!t is going down, if they don't waste the show's potential. Andre charming Cookie and then giving that look behind her back.... now that is soapy goodness! Uncle Vernon is great and I hope they use more of him in the future. You can already tell the family dynamics will be explosive.LOVED Jamal and Hakeem's loving relationship, although his jealous look at the end of the episode did not go unnoticed.

Speaking of which, what a perfect way to end the episode: Lucious welcoming Cookie and everyone toasting "to the Empire!" Hell, that's what I was thinking too!

• Members

I misinterpreted the scene and my words probably didn't come out correct but it still was a sad scene to watch just because I knew that the reaction from his dad probably wasn't going to be all smiles and giggles.

And yes I do think the African American community is a lot more homophobic than the Caucasian community. Like another posted said....two sons could be born to the same parents. One could be excellent at almost everything, make the right decisions in school, get the right grades, attend the best schools, and land a great job in one of the most wealthy markets in country. While the second one is a total screw up, not that intelligent, and does not make the right decisions. Yet because Son #1 is gay he will be thrown out of his family 9/10 while Son #2's issues are overlooked and considered just "growing pains".

I know this because this happened to me just recently. I identify a lot with the character of Jamal. He seems like the kind of person who's always been willing to put the needs of his father, mother, and the rest of the family before his own. Yet he doesn't receive any credit for any of the good things he's done because he's gay. It's just heartbreaking. I would love to have an accepting African American mom like Cookie but sadly that just is not the case. And I'm not gonna pretend like that isn't the vast majority of reactions out there in the real world.....

• Members

Ummm no need to be rude. I did NOT see his post especially since i just read the back and forth and thought I would voice MY opinion as an African American gay guy living in Virginia.

My apologies to Toups. If there's another area where my post is more appropriate I'll gladly put it there. Even though I think it's relevant to the show at hand and I'm simply saying how I identified with the character of Jamal. I'm not sure why you feel the need to lash out at everyone.....

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear