Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I had rehearsal tonight and unfortunately missed the show, but I just watched a program called Inside Empire that FOX aired at 12:30am after Dish Nation. Granted, they've aired at 12:30am, but this is the second promo show I've seen of Empire, I don't think I've ever seen a show pushed particularly like this. The creative team mentioned Dallas and Dynasty and soap opera several times. Lee Daniels said that he's been dissatisfied with black television series (read: Tyler Perry) for quite some time.

• Members

First and foremost, Taraji P Henson is a Queen. She slayed. There aren't many actresses capable of delivering, with seeming ease, the lines she was given without being grating or annoying. But she pulled it off. It felt natural and authentic. And Cookie Lyons is easily my favorite character on TV. And is far more relatable than Olivia Pope could ever dream of being.

Also loving how they are handling Jamal's story. It's hard to watch. The directing was amazing during that trash can scene. They showed his mother proudly watching him present day singing a touching song interspersed with flashback to her being his hero and savior. It was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time! I cried my eyes out. Even if you aren't gay, which I am not, you can relate to his search for a paren'ts love and acceptance. Most people have felt this way about a parent. I liked that the show focused on him first. I hope that each son is given moments like this to show the audience why they are the way they are or do what they do. Give me a reason to care about them all. I suspect the eldest son is a paranoid schizophrenic.

When I heard "That Nookie Thang" being played, I hollered. You just don't hear Southern Soul on TV Shows. It's not main stream music. I am in love with this show!!!

I could go on and on but I won't. Lol

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

It was an excellent first episode but listening to the Russ Parr Morning Show this morning it's kinda sad how many people just want to hate on it because of Jamal and the fact that he's gay. While I've never been fascinated or wanted to cross dress it was pretty sad to see those scenes. I like all the sons for various reasons. Love the oldest though because he's on that Game of Thrones ish and is knows what he has to do to be on top.

• Members

I don't think Jamal wanted to cross dress. He wore that because he thought it was funny and would make his father laugh. He was being silly. They reacted that way because they thought he was going to be gay. I suspect that if they didn't have those thoughts, they wouldn't have reacted that way.

• Members

I love that demo number and 9.8 million is nothing to sneeze at but I wish the 9.8 was a little higher. But the demo matters more, clearly, if New Girl and Mindy can get anemic ratings and remain on the air. My concern is new shows typically drop 10%-20% of their numbers the following week. The next few weeks will let us know if the show will stick around. I really hope it does.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

This was so good. How could any soap fan not love Cookie? What really surprised me is that I don't hate Lucious despite the fact that he treats his son terribly and murdered his best friend in cold blood. Lucious definitely still loves Cookie, imo. Even when she came in to blow up his meeting, you could see the admiration in his eyes.

Very glad to see this show got some good ratings. I hope they stick. Fox shows are known for bleeding out, but I'm hopeful.