Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

Very much looking forward to this! 100% with Jamal and Cookie but the others all seem to have various layers so I think I could really get into all of them. I hope beyond hope this does well. Lee Daniels is quoted in TV Guide magazine that he loves the soap opera form and this is his black Dynasty, basically.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Same here. I try, but then they lose me early on, and then I hear the show gets good later on, but I don't like to just jump back into anything, so...

I've never seen The Butler or Precious, and IDK if they'd be a good way to judge how this is gonna go, but if they happen to be, does anyone here have any comment on that?

• Members

Precious was a great experience but OTT in the final analysis, I felt. I find Daniels' other stuff to be arch camp, but he's not Tyler Perry, he has real skill, cinematic background and something to say - however overblown - and he means well. So I'll give it a go. Lee Daniels is not always to my taste, but he is always entertaining.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Is it just me, or is the 9 pm time slot on Wednesday kind of a **itty place to put this show? Between L&O SVU, Modern Family & Criminal Minds, this seems like a tough spot to launch this series. It killed RBS, I know they have a Lead in from American Idol, but it just seems like a different timeslot would benefit this show. I'll be watching, I just hope a lot of other people will be, too!

• Members

I'm one of the people who was watching RBS. I guess time will tell. Hopefully some of that Dynasty Wednesday night at 9 shine from the eighties will rub off on this series. There will always be viewers who'll prefer continuing drama over procedurals and sitcoms, so fingers crossed. I'm annoyed that I can't watch live tonight.

• Members

I had HAHN on on mute the other night, I haven't watched an episode of that mess since that terrible first block. Sure enough, even on mute, a single scene between two people lasted like 9 minutes. The camera did not move.

Edited by Vee