SHO Penny Dreadful

quartermainefan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was hoping Ep 3 would be released on Showtime's online service (and so on torrents....) a week early too--I've been anticipating ep 3 maybe even more than each week's Game of Thrones (though with no new GoT and only the Mad Men finale this Sunday I guess it'll be good to have.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

No talk of Josh Hartnett's gay scene?

Anyway I thought the following episode--lat week's which was all devoted to Vanessa's backstory was one of the most perfect TV episodes of the past few years. Self contained, but relevant to the show, perfectly acted and shot--I liked that they played with the gothic tropes but subverted them in subtle ways. This has become the top show I look forward to each week--and I'm glad it was picked up for 10 episodes next year (with John Logan still writing every one.) I know some viewers have been thrown off by the slow pace--it's definitely more about atmosphere--and the fact each episode has a different tone, but I like all that.

• Members

I love the show, I just figured since no replied to this topic in a month, there was no one to reply to.

The Ethan/Dorian scene came a little out of nowhere but it was cool. There was just no indication that this was in Ethan's character, Dorian we knew this from his first scenes. It's too bad they didn't get gratuitous though. Anyway apparently it is a hit for showtime in every dept except actual TV watching. More people watch it via non-traditional viewing than watch it live on TV. I just wish they would get to Dracula already.

• Members

I discuss it on other forums ;) Just cuz it didn't seem like many caught on to it here. But I can change that :P

Re Ethan Dorian, it ultimately worked for me (and not because it was hot.) We still don't know much about Ethan, although I don't really think he's bisexual, but we know Dorian is--and he's also meant to be basically irresistable to anyone he's interested in. Add to that Ethan's girlfriend just freaked out and basically told him she would never see him again, Ethan is a severe alcoholic (though somehow he still has a steady shot, but whatever,) Dorian caught him right at that moments and promised him lots of drinks, then Ethan had a sorta horrified/excited reaction to the dog fight bar, and then Dorian basically seduced him while drinking absinthe. It doesn't seem completely outside of possibility to me. Oh and apparently Ethan was impressed by Dorian's cologne collection ;)

I really did appreciate the background with Vanessa though--even though I could use with the story going forward, the episode break was worth it to me. I just found it superbly acted and filmed. And I like the revelations of how Malcolm seems perhaps the true villain.

Yeah, at least it's a big enough hit to have ten episodes next year. Apparently Logan wrote this season with *some* sort of conclusion but kept it open for next year so I do kinda wonder what kind of ending they will come up with in three more episodes. (And anyone else pretty sure Brona will become Bride of Frankenstein?)

• Members

Wow, if only there was a chance in Hell it would happen Eva Green really should be up for an Emmy. Amazing episode performance from her. I know Logan claimed that he wrote and filmed this season with some sort of ending though he left it open hoping it would be renewed--as it has been--but I have no idea how they will clear up major story in only two more episodes.

• Members

Just got caught up. I have no idea how they're gonna cover so much in the final episode--I love the odd and deliberate pacing of this show (though it seems to be something that people either love or hate and how each episode has its own rhythm. It was effective to have this last episode all in the claustrophobic house (though I wondered if Ethan ever snuck away to check on Brona?) and I guess now thanks to Demon Vanessa we have an answer as to who bottomed when Ethan and Dorian had sex. tongue.png

I suspect she'll be ignored, but Eva Green really does deserve an Emmy nom--particularly after this last possession episode.

• Members

I think they left themselves too little time to do too much. They have to resolve this Mina thing somehow, at least show who has her. They have danced around Dracula throughout this series and I guess they will say the master vampire is actually Dracula's henchman.

The Bride of Frankenstein: Is it Brona or the actress? This is has to be resolved too.

Dorian Gray: Of course it would be great to see his painting, but they need to explain why he is even on this show. I imagine he will be revealed to be the villain, perhaps for season 2. Perhaps the show will go crazy and say he is Dracula.

Ethan: Maybe is a werewolf priest? He knows how to perform an exorcist so maybe he was a priest in the army or something and got cursed by native american witchcraft?

The whole Egypt thing seems to have been backburnered.

They have an hour to address all these things and I just don't see how that is possible. A good show though, I just wish they had paced it better for only eight episodes.

• Members

The finale wasn't so great. All this time about Mina and then it ends so abruptly and with no huge confrontation? This wasn't much different than the previous encounters. No surprises at all with Brona and Ethan. I guess the surprise is there were no surprises. Dorian Gray better be returning next year otherwise I don't understand the point of him.

• Members

We don't really know Mina is dead. Her master is alive and she outlived that vampire monster so her life isn't dependent on that monster. She seems undead and I wouldn't be shocked to see her pop up in season 2.

Agree that Brona and Ethan's stories were so heavily foreshadowed, there were no shockers there.

We haven't been shown Dorian's back story, have we? Likewise Sempene. Maybe he will be fleshed out more in Season 2.

I really adored this show, but it had so much to tell in so little time, so I'm definitely looking forward to season 2. The danger of a show like this is that it collapses under its own mythology, but I think that may not be an issue because most the characters are in the public domain and their boundaries are well established.

And Eva Green deserves an Emmy for this season (but I suspect this show is going to get the Shameless treatment from the award shows).

Archived