Sign in to follow this  
Paul Raven

Ratings from the 80's

On 9/9/2019 at 3:25 AM, EONGLOLTL said:

I wonder what might have happened if The Edge of Night had moved to ABC in September 1975 instead of December 1975 and had secured the 3:30 time slot with the same affiliate clearances as the other ABC soaps.  Where might they have been in 1981-1982?  They were almost neck and neck with As the World Turns and Search for Tomorrow in January 1982. 

Or if CBS had held on to EON and programmed it at 4pm as ABC did. It would have had a much stronger lead in and probably better coverage,

Top 10 daytime ratings among blacks Jan- Feb 88

1. Y&R 18.3

2. AMC 17.8

3. OLTL 16.2

4, ATWT 14.2

5. GH 14.2

6. GL 13.1

7. B&B 13.0

8. TPIR 12.8

9.LOV 10.6

10. SB 8.6

13 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

@Paul Raven What happened to your prime time ratings? Was watching episode 1 from 86-87 season and was wondering where it ranked. It's the episode where Bobby jumps out of the shower...LOL

Check the primetime ratings thread in the next few days!

15 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Or if CBS had held on to EON and programmed it at 4pm as ABC did. It would have had a much stronger lead in and probably better coverage,

1. Y&R 18.3

2. AMC 17.8

3. OLTL 16.2

4, ATWT 14.2

5. GH 14.2

6. GL 13.1

7. B&B 13.0

8. TPIR 12.8

9.LOV 10.6

10. SB 8.6

I would have loved to have seen Edge stay on CBS!   In 1975 Match Game was huge at 3:30 and maybe the kids would have stuck around for Edge.  It was only 3 years since the move to 2:30 for Edge   I always wondered why CBS kept it at 2:30 it's ratings dipped so badly..... 

On 9/15/2019 at 1:32 AM, Paul Raven said:

1. Y&R 18.3

2. AMC 17.8

3. OLTL 16.2

4, ATWT 14.2

5. GH 14.2

6. GL 13.1

7. B&B 13.0

8. TPIR 12.8

9.LOV 10.6

10. SB 8.6

Interesting tidbit, thanks. I have to dig out some old Digests around the mid 90's when they focused on African-American representation (or lack thereof) on soaps and it did a rundown of the top-rated shows among black households. At the time, DAYS was No. 2 in households but at the bottom in black homes which I was surprised to see. 

21 minutes ago, slick jones said:

Laura left and Jackie Temple-toes  (Demi Moore) arrived.

Just as importantly, Pat Falken Smith was fired as head writer, and a stream of hacks took over, initiating all sorts of campy (i.e. STOOPID) plots which started to drive even the most patient viewers away.

1 hour ago, vetsoapfan said:

Just as importantly, Pat Falken Smith was fired as head writer, and a stream of hacks took over, initiating all sorts of campy (i.e. STOOPID) plots which started to drive even the most patient viewers away.

The Corringtons seem to have been lured over to replace Racina after The Ice Princess ended. The month they took over, the show instantly collapsed in the ratings, and seems to have taken OLTL (who's been a solid #2 under O'Shea/Hall) with them. This appears to have caused ABC to panic, since shortly thereafter, O'Shea is out, and Henry Slesar's in at that point.

The ratings from 5/83 to 6/83 show where Days of our Lives and Another World finally start to rise in the ratings after disastrous ratings in the early 80s.  Days was heavily featuring the Marlena and Roman pairing and about to introduce Hope and Bo as a future supercouple.  The ratings rose from a 5.3 to 6.8 in one month.  

After 12 years,  Another World fired long time executive producer Paul Rauch and replaced him with Guiding Light's executive producer Allen Potter.  AW was about to kick off the Alma Rudder murder mystery and was reuniting Mac and Rachel before their August double wedding with Sandy and Blaine.  The ratings rose from a 4.2 to 5.5 in one month.