Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Ratings from the 80's


Paul Raven

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
11 minutes ago, Donna B said:

Khan, I have to say that I'm disappointed in you. When I make an error, it's definitely not because I'm dong it on purpose. It's sad for people to think that. If I were making a mistake on purpose, I would own up to it. I just make mistakes sometimes & I try my best to make up for them. It's just very human. I'm sick and tired of some people calling me names. They don't have any business doing it! They should be ashamed of themselves. They should know how to behave better than that. I'm embarrassed for them that they treat people that way. And, I am certainly NOT bringing out any illness of mine and using it. I'm working hard at doing better here to get on with all of you. I like it here. I care about it. But, I'm still going to make mistakes. I'm just already making fewer of them.

 

Donna, Khan is frustrated with you. Lots of people are. Your disappointment in someone doesn't deflect your responsibility for causing disruption. When a bunch of people are feeling the same thing about someone, the one thing that's in common, is THAT someone.

 

You are responsible for everything you write. But you are engaging in a revolving cycle. You are going in circles

 

1) Making "mistakes" that you say you're learning from

2) Receiving people's frustration that they post on the board

3) and this is what varies (a) You debate them  (b) You ask for further explanation, sometimes repeatedly (c) You change the focus to someone calling you a name or saying something that you feel is insulting 

Whenever you choose "C," you give yourself a pass - like now it doesn't matter that people are upset with you. 

4) You go back to repeating step 1. 

 

You've walked into a community of people talking cooperatively, and then you basically pulled out a loudspeaker, start reading encyclopedia passages, lit fireworks, released a coup of chickens.... Typically people have two ears and one mouth -  we should all listen with twice as much time & effort, as what we put into talking. I gave you yesterday what I thought was really good advice, and you're not really receiving it. 

 

If there's another diagnosis apart from Parkinsons that is more cognitive or behavioral in nature, I believe people here would be sensitive to that. But your actions are off the wall, and frankly sometimes upsetting to others. Like the rest of us humans, you have to adapt to what is happening around you. Society in general doesn't, and neither does a message board community, make accommodations for social disruption in their environments. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

It also doesn't really matter what kind of presence you had at another forum in another time. When you refuse to learn the rules of how or where to post, or what's appropriate vs. just spam or unwieldy, you give the distinct impression that while you're being outwardly polite, you are not genuinely taking anything we say seriously because you believe you have some authority we do not. You don't.

 

I know that you were on other forums or even on Usenet. That was almost twenty years ago. Things have changed. This is not your home forum, and you are not the center of it. You cannot just keep posting long swaths of books, or long URL strings, or stuff in the wrong threads. Like, even a decade ago that was bad netiquette. I don't know what role you or your partner felt you held elsewhere, but it is not relevant to SON.

Edited by Vee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Khan said:

I suspect GL beat GH for those weeks, because Genie Francis and Anthony Geary had just left the latter show.


So it sounds like it was not a case of GL doing better but GH losing viewers? Can anyone corroborate @Khan’s theory?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 minutes ago, Darn said:


So it sounds like it was not a case of GL doing better but GH losing viewers? Can anyone corroborate @Khan’s theory?

 

It's a long time ago, but I believe the Entertainment Tonight story played up the popularity of the Beth/Lujack pairing and cited it for the increase in GL's ratings. As for Tony and Genie, they had already been gone from GH for about 6 to 7 months when GL overtook GH in the ratings. Genie returned at the end of 1983 to tie up the Luke/Laura story. I think they were gone by year's end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, YurSoakinginit said:

 

Donna, Khan is frustrated with you. Lots of people are. Your disappointment in someone doesn't deflect your responsibility for causing disruption. When a bunch of people are feeling the same thing about someone, the one thing that's in common, is THAT someone.

 

You are responsible for everything you write. But you are engaging in a revolving cycle. You are going in circles

 

1) Making "mistakes" that you say you're learning from

2) Receiving people's frustration that they post on the board

3) and this is what varies (a) You debate them  (b) You ask for further explanation, sometimes repeatedly (c) You change the focus to someone calling you a name or saying something that you feel is insulting 

Whenever you choose "C," you give yourself a pass - like now it doesn't matter that people are upset with you. 

4) You go back to repeating step 1. 

 

You've walked into a community of people talking cooperatively, and then you basically pulled out a loudspeaker, start reading encyclopedia passages, lit fireworks, released a coup of chickens.... Typically people have two ears and one mouth -  we should all listen with twice as much time & effort, as what we put into talking. I gave you yesterday what I thought was really good advice, and you're not really receiving it. 

 

If there's another diagnosis apart from Parkinsons that is more cognitive or behavioral in nature, I believe people here would be sensitive to that. But your actions are off the wall, and frankly sometimes upsetting to others. Like the rest of us humans, you have to adapt to what is happening around you. Society in general doesn't, and neither does a message board community, make accommodations for social disruption in their environments. 

 

 

You seemed to catch onto me yesterday but not today. I don't want to alienate you. But I'm not shouting into a megaphone. I hope you will reconsider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Donna B said:

I didn't have any obnoxious behavior on the Buzz Board and I wasn't banned from it. I didn't like it and I left it. There were people at the Buzz Board that I just could not abide. My partner was the GL Editor at Soap Opera Digest and she didn't care for it either. So we both left it. I know other people who left it too. We didn't miss it.

 

No, darling, you were banned.  That's a fact.  And you were banned, because we were as fed up with your condescension and stubborn refusal to respect GLBuzz board's rules as SON posters are now.  That's a fact, too.

 

I was happy to ignore your presence here until you mentioned your alleged Parkinson's diagnosis in another thread, clearly as a way to elicit sympathy from others (which, I am sorry to say, although it's no fault of their own, it worked). 

 

I know personally people who suffer from that dreadful disease.  The fact that you felt the need to "play that card" sickens me to my core.

Edited by Khan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
15 minutes ago, Donna B said:

You seemed to catch onto me yesterday but not today. I don't want to alienate you. But I'm not shouting into a megaphone. I hope you will reconsider.

 

Reconsider what? It isn't my behavior that's alienating more and more people. There's clearly a problem rapidly developing between you and many others here. What do you think the problem is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 minutes ago, YurSoakinginit said:

 

Reconsider what? It isn't my behavior that's alienating more and more people. There's clearly a problem rapidly developing between you and many others here. What do you think the problem is?

 

Typical narcissistic behavior, don't you think?  She'd rather pin the blame on others than accept it for her own.

 

That's the kind of [!@#$%^&*] we have in the White House today -- and unfortunately, it's the kind of [!@#$%^&*] we're dealing with (AGAIN) on SON at the moment.

 

28 minutes ago, robbwolff said:

 

It's a long time ago, but I believe the Entertainment Tonight story played up the popularity of the Beth/Lujack pairing and cited it for the increase in GL's ratings. As for Tony and Genie, they had already been gone from GH for about 6 to 7 months when GL overtook GH in the ratings. Genie returned at the end of 1983 to tie up the Luke/Laura story. I think they were gone by year's end.

 

Thanks, @robbwolff

Please register in order to view this content

 

(Hope that answers your questions, @Darn!)

 

1 hour ago, Vee said:

It also doesn't really matter what kind of presence you had at another forum in another time. When you refuse to learn the rules of how or where to post, or what's appropriate vs. just spam or unwieldy, you give the distinct impression that while you're being outwardly polite, you are not genuinely taking anything we say seriously because you believe you have some authority we do not. You don't.

 

Bingo!

Edited by Khan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

No, darling, you were banned.  That's a fact.  And you were banned, because we were as fed up with your condescension and stubborn refusal to respect GLBuzz board's rules as SON posters are now.  That's a fact, too.

 

I was happy to ignore your presence until you mentioned your alleged Parkinson's diagnosis in another thread, clearly as a way to elicit sympathy from others (which, I am sorry to say, although it's no fault of their own, it worked). 

 

I know personally people who suffer from that dreadful disease.  The fact that you felt the need to "play that card" sickens me to my core.

We remember things differently. as soon as I got here awhile back someone got into a PM with me to remind me that they had left the Buzz Board the same as I had and as others had. It's appalling to me that you would say "alleged" Parkinsons diagnosis. I was diagnosed with Parksinsons in August 2012 but I had a long honeymoon. That's all over now. The very idea that you think I'm out to get sympathy is disgusting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, Darn said:

Thanks @robbwolff and @Khan! I’m just glad my question was able to be addressed while the crazy lady in the corner was screaming into her megaphone about 40 year old memoirs!

 

The odd thing is I was never a GH fan. I just have a good memory about useless trivia like this. I remember getting my hair cut in December 1983 and my stylist being stoked that Genie Francis was back on GH. As an Edge of Night fan, I wanted to talk about Edge, not Luke and Laura.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
17 minutes ago, YurSoakinginit said:

 

Reconsider what? It isn't my behavior that's alienating more and more people. There's clearly a problem rapidly developing between you and many others here. What do you think the problem is?

I've said.

4 minutes ago, Darn said:

Thanks @robbwolff and @Khan! I’m just glad my question was able to be addressed while the crazy lady in the corner was screaming into her megaphone about 40 year old memoirs!

Please stop calling me names. I made one error today, none yesterday, none the day before. And, I spoke up about what it it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

No, you haven't said, Donna. People are asking you to consider what they're telling you about your behavior and how you're handling posting here, and in return you're just suggesting they don't 'get you.' Yursoaking's analysis of your behavior pattern is correct.

Edited by Vee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 5,664

      OLTL Tribute Thread

    2. 89

      Y&R September 2021 Discussion Thread

    3. 37,847

      The Politics Thread

    4. 89

      Y&R September 2021 Discussion Thread

    5. 12,213

      As The World Turns Discussion Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy