HBO: True Detective

rhinohide

• Members

It was pretty epic how she immediately revealed her intentions once they were done. She didn't have to go there, she could have saved that twist of the knife just for her husband. And good God does she have an ass on her.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Last night's episode was the best so far. I like how the show builds. It really does remind me of AMC's The Killing (S3). It just keeps getting more and more suspenseful. Can't wait for the Season Finale next week. I wonder if they'll follow up with another season, just have new cops in a new setting. Like the way American Horror Story does.

• Members

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true-detective-finale-delivers-twists-turns-and-scented-meat-1201128476/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breakingnewsalert#

True Detective was designed as an anthology. So i will be anxious to learn how they follow up this season.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/hbos-true-detective-wraps-season-with-its-largest-audience-1201128626/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breakingnewsalert#

According to HBO, with an average gross audience of 11 million viewers, “True Detective” is the network’s most popular first-year series since “Six Feet Under,” which was drawing about 11.4 million viewers per episode in its 2001 premiere season.

“True Detective” bowed on Jan. 12 with 2.3 million viewers for its 9 p.m. telecast, making it the premium cabler’s most-watched debut since “Boardwalk Empire” drew 4.8 million in 2010. Among the shows that “True Detective” outperformed in its premiere are dramas “Game of Thrones” (2.22 million) and “The Newsroom” (2.14 million) and comedies “Veep” (1.38 million) and “Girls” (870,000).

• Members

"True Detective's brilliance indeed lies hard in the writing and the acting, so watching Rust and Marty talking in cars was a magnificent combination of both. You probably couldn't sell a story about existential cops in a pitch meeting, but series creator Nic Pizzolatto's exceptional prose sealed the deal and the series got made....

Beyond existential cops who struggle with their relationship to each other and the relationships around them, True Detective was about a bizzare collection of serial murders, the occult, the strange off-the-grid nature of rural Louisiana and about how the emotionally corrosive nature of police work -- especially when it touches on humanity's darkest sides -- can rot even the strongest man from the inside."

I was just reading this and thinking True Detectives is the antithesis of a soap.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/true-detective-was-ultimately-journey-687343

The anthology's freshman finale, which brought an end to the story of Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey's 17-year murder case, brought in a series high 3.5 million viewers on Sunday night. That's up 50 percent from the premiere just two months ago. What's more, the latest gross viewership for the show has an average 11 million viewers tuning in every week. When final DVR and HBO Go views are taken into account, that number stands to grow even more. It already ranks as the most-watched freshman series HBO has had since Six Feet Under in 2001.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-true-detective-finale-687211

• Members

What's crazy is that there were moments there towards the end where I honest to goodness believed they both were going to die. The two leads and EP of the show, and I truly feared their deaths. That's compelling writing and directing right there, the violence had me cringing on the edge of my seat.

• Members

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true-detective-deleted-scene-rust-and-lori-break-up-1201130309/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailyheadlines#

‘True Detective’ Deleted Scene: Rust and Lori Break Up It’s safe to say “True Detective” fans know that Detective Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) is a complicated man, but this deleted scene sheds even more light on Cohle’s grief.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to admit, I'm not sure what exactly happened. I take it there was a ring of pedophiles. The Yellow King was the old man tied up by his son? He was the worst and abused his son and daughter as well as some of the other children that the detectives saved. The son was the one at the end with the scars? Perhaps there were people in government or religious leaders involved, but they might have been some of the ones who got away with it? I guess I'll have to watch again at some point.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

Just did the last three episodes. Boy, did they built it up, serve some great shocker and cliffhangers along the way, and served up a thrilling season finale. It was also horrifying, intense and totally unpredictable. I thought they were both going to die! And the two cathartic scenes of Marty and Rust crying at the end. Rust's speech about feeling his father and daughter around him and his regret that he woke up from his coma were heartbreaking. And, in the end, off they went, talking about the nature of light and dark. Just fantastic.

• 3 months later...

Archived