HBO: True Detective

rhinohide

• Members

I just think from the questions they keep asking Marty. They seem to be focused on Cohle, more than on the investigation. I could be totally off base. And then Cohle's weird life philosphy and drug use make me wonder about him. All that stuff about how horrible the world is and not bringing children into it, etc.

I got the feeling Cohle knows exactly where they are going and just doesn't care. Whether it's because he really did it, and he's ready to be caught, or he didn't do it and knows who did, or something else entirely. Remains to be seen.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't believe for a second that Cohle did it. He is far to self-aware to commit that crime and if he did it, he would not let someone else go down for it. However, I can buy that he knows who committed the second murder which is why he is rambling on. I don't think Hart did it because while he is delusional, he is too unimaginative. The murderer has to be someone that we have not met.

• Members

Lol. That's what would make it shocking. The only thing that makes me seriously doubt it is that he's a suspect. The suspect never did it, unless the element of surprise is the why and how. Also Cohle is not religious in any way, and the murders have strong religious symbolism.

• Members

What a surprise to see a very brunette Bree Williamson on tonight's episode. I will miss the show next week, though Super Bowl festivities will make up for it. What's airing in its place?

I think Woody speaks a little too fondly for this to have transpired to his knowledge, but I feel like his wife is going to want to screw MM.

• Members

I fell asleep during one of the droning interviews. I missed Bree. I'll have to try to watch again when it's not so late and I can pay closer attention. I thought that Cohle and Marty's wife would have an affair from their first meeting. Especially since Marty is cheating and Cohle obviously has a problem with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Finished marathoning the first 3 episodes and I love it. I don't mind slow pace if the show is trying to show you something in a subtle way, which I feel this show is doing. Filling in the missing pieces between the present and the original murder case works well.

MM & WH's characters' relationship piques my interest most, so I am most looking forward to the reveal as to why they stopped working together and keeping in touch - it doesn't indicate an affair, because WH's character still respected Cohle.

This is a good performance from MM. I'm fairly neutral on him in the past, but he can clearly act.

• Members

That was a great episode and a very much faster pace than the previous shows. I just don't know why they are doing it though -it seems like a totally obtuse long way to get to Reggie Ladoux, not to mention the questionable motivations of why Cohle and Hart are using this approach to track him down. Anyway, as a stand alone episode it was great. I just wonder if it is a diversion in the main plot or actually means something - I guess we'll find out in 4 epsiodes or less!

• Members

I believe the creator said somewhere (Ent Weekly?) that the season would be in three "acts" and the pacing and focus of each act would be different--I know he said the first three episodes were the first act and were meant to be deliberate, and then it would speed up (I have no idea where the final act division is meant to be, though :P )

• Members

I was being distracted early in the episode and I also got confused, but that was such an awesome action-packed final sequence that I didn't really mind being "lost". It reminded me of The Wire, robbing stash houses in the projects and all. So how did Hart get his mistress fired? I missed that detail. I felt not one bit sorry for him and WH played the realization that he'd been left by his wife and kids in such a way that I almost felt glee in karma kicking his ass.

Archived