Gotham: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Loved the premiere episode! I thought BenMac was a good leading man and I already Jim Gordon and the dynamic between he and Harvey. Can't wait to see more The Penguin emerging into a big crime boss, and more of The Riddler, Catwoman and Poison Ivy.

Nice demo rating up against tough competition!

• Members

The only interesting aspect about this show is the capacity to flesh out Batman's rogue gallery, which is admittedly the best D.C. Comics has. That being said I wasn't impressed with the premiere. I'm not sure Ben McKenzie or Jeff Gordan as a character is a strong enough lead to carry this show. It's not cringe-inducing which I give points for as it could have been painful. I also get that it's an origin story, but Gotham doesn't feel dangerous, it feels just like any other town. I guess this is being set, as a time before the Gotham was a villainous cesspool but it just feels like there are little to no stakes at play, and even if there were it doesn't feel as if Gordan would be able to handle them.

It's like they are trying to have a Batman show without Batman.

Yeah, they should have weaved this a bit better but I also know it's just the first episode. I think it would work better if they made the show more like a procedural, where we have Gordon looking for the man who shot Bruce's parents, but at the same time had him solve cases that were connected to the Batman villain mythos.

All this being said I don't think Fox will be keeping this anyway if the ratings don't improve. 8 million for a fox show debut seems quite low -- didn't X-Factor a couple of years back start with this rating and it was deemed a failure? And you know there were viewers who only tuned in just to see what it initially was about. .

• Administrator

The show got 3.2 demo which is pretty good going up against Big Bang, The Voice and MNF.

And the show will get renewed unless the demo drops into the ones which I don't see happening. *knocks on wood*. And it's FOX's highest rated drama.

Archived