Steve Burton (YR) vs. Roger Howarth (GH)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BINGO! In both cases the characters are ill conceived. Roger (acting wise) doesn't do it for me as I didn't watch OLTL and never got the glory that is Todd Manning, so I didn't give a flip when Todd came on GH except him eating the show whole.

I am a James Franco (Franco) fan with all the reconned hacked history re: Susan Moore (and Franco) who I am also a fan of even when they threw her under the bus;

From day1 scene 1 this version of Franco is just cringe worthy, I don't cringe with Dylan.

• Members

My opinion is that GH has 50 years of history and they chose to make Howarth, of all characters, Franco. Who was controversial when an A list actor was playing the role. It was a set up for failure. I would have made Roger, Ric Lansing.

I don't watch YR, but from what I've heard the character is eating the show, which goes against every soap opera writing rule known to man, when it comes to trying to make a new character work.

A good writer with the right story could probably salvage the Dylan character. I don't think anything could fix the Franco problem on GH.

• Members

Yes and no. IMO, he was really good at the beginning. He put his all into every scene. He just lost something with every consecutive visit to the ATM return to the show. I think of RH as the soap equivalent of Bobby Brown. Franco = Bobby and Whitney's reality show.

• Members

Todd the rapist was a horrifying figure that I never got over -- I could never reconcile that Todd with the romantic lead they tried to paint him with both Blair and Tea years later. The only way I could see Todd as a romantic protagonist was when an entirely separate actor was in the role -- TSJ. Ultimately I think that's a testament to his skill as a thespian. His scenes with Susan Haskill and Hilary B. Smith were electrifying in their terror precisely because of how palpable the scenes were. You had no hesitation or speck of doubt who Todd was and how far he was willing to go in those scenes.

• Members

I never cared for Todd as any sort of romantic anti-hero, and I don't think Roger Howarth cared for that either. Hence, the general sense of antipathy in his performances after the initial arc w/ Haskell and HBS.

• Members

Simply put, you might not know what you are talking about here. There is no Guza pet I was a fan of anyway, so the lack of Jason and the limited exposure of Sonny, Carly, Sam, Alexis and Liz means nothing to me. If all were written off tomorrow I wouldn't care. Now putting that aside, Roger Howarth sucks and the Franco character is pathetic. Just yesterday he was talking to a painting about some bullshit or whatever it was, and it took just a moment to go for the FF button.

• Members

Actually, I'm going by the nonsense that was posted ad nauseaum about Guza helming a better show than Carlivati, as well as how said nonsense manifested into complaints that the show-ruining 3 were being thrown under the bus despite the fact that nary a peep was uttered when their time was in the sun and characters were truly thrown under the bus to prop their asses. Yet, it's an abomination when others such as RH get propped?

You may have chosen to pretend that the shitstain that was the last regime's everlasting damage to the show is a figment of one's imagination, but I have not and never will. If RH is the reason why those airtime-hogging succubi got backburnered (or took his toys and left in a huff), I say kudos to him and the current regime for finally giving those Guza pets and their stans a taste of their own medicine.

Actually, I'm going by the nonsense that was posted ad nauseaum about Guza helming a better show than Carlivati, as well as how said nonsense manifested into complaints that the show-ruining 3 were being thrown under the bus despite the fact that nary a peep was uttered when their time was in the sun and characters were truly thrown under the bus to prop their asses. Yet, it's an abomination when others such as RH get propped?

You may have chosen to pretend that the shitstain that was the last regime's everlasting damage to the show is a figment of one's imagination, but I have not and never will. If RH is the reason why those airtime-hogging succubi got backburnered (or took his toys and left in a huff), I say kudos to him and the current regime for finally giving those Guza pets and their stans a taste of their own medicine.

• Members

Well I have no [!@#$%^&*] to give about Guza vs. Carlivati. I can only judge RH by what I've seen over the years. He was great at the beginning. Now not so much. He's simply in the lucky position to be working in a genre that feeds on nostalgia so he can coast on "used to be" as long as someone is willing to pay him.

• Members

It isn't even about Guza vs Carlivati. RC puts on a better show imo but that is despite Roger Howarth, not because of him. And it is only better if you FF all Franco and Kiki scenes. Silas is harmless by comparison, he is barely on and when he is on he doesn't register thanks to ME's patented coma acting style. The problem for me is this version of Franco is unwatchable thanks to RH, and KA is just dreadful just as she always was. RH is so bad I would rather watch Rick Hearst and Ted King's Alcazar, who up til now would have gotten my vote for worst character in GH history.

• Members

Not sure what else I can add, but yeah, it's no different. JFP is desperate to make her 'big get' work and prove it wasn't a mistake, while FrankenRon refuse to let go of Roger Howarth for some damn reason. I like Howarth, he's very talented and can almost always make the crap work, but Franco he is not, and it never worked. Now he's just playing Todd.

I really don't get why anyone thought Michael Easton, Kristen Alderson and Roger Howarth were worth any of this mess over the last year. The first two are just dreadful actors. They have their moments and Easton sounds like a great guy in person, but none of their characters are working and stand out like sore thumbs. I can't ignore also how John and Starr are now tied to nearly half the canvas. Tell me that wasn't done on purpose to make them work.

I'm really tired of the soaps shoving their personal favorites down our throats just because they refuse to admit it's not working.

I think at times Roger has phoned it in (I didn't see that on the new OLTL. I felt he was more like Todd than he had been in years) but being hammy doesn't mean he's a bad actor. What else should he do with some of the pure crap that ReRon gives him? It's a joke so it's treated as such, IMHO.

I really just don't like Steve Burton so I can't be unbiased there but it's no different. He was shoehorned in and now being tied to a main character is pure BS and a total obvious move. Why no one is really spouting this is ridiculous. I guess the actress involved is just happy to finally be given something to do, which is such a shame. It's ridiculous. It's part of what's helped damage the soaps, pet actors that the networks/honchos push.

How anyone could have ever rooted for Steve Burton's Jason I'll never understand. The brooding 'hero' is a lazy way for him to not have to try and act. I think many fans just like them because to them, they're 'hot' and I hate seeing 'favoritism' based on just looks. But to each their own. I think Dylan's exactly the same character, just 'lighter'. I mean, shoving him with MCE (who on her own was popular at the time of her hiring there, but man, her character is BOOOOOORING) and then the baby thing ... it just reeks of trying to 'make him work'.

• Members

I had zero problem rooting for him when he was Jason Q (to the point where I enjoyed him onscreen as much as SK's AJ) because the writing and his interactions (with his family and his love interests) more than made up for whatever shortcomings he did have. It wasn't until TPTB started allowing him the power to dictate the direction of his character and said interactions that that love turned into an eternal hate.

From what I've read, his stint at Y&R is just as wretched as his existence was at his former soap. While I certainly can't critique RH's second go-round on GH (as I no longer watch this show), I can't imagine that he - at his worst - is anywhere near as atrocious as the former's non-acting ass is.

Archived