Llanview In The Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live, by Jeff Giles out today

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you for the heads up. I have to pace myself. This is so delicious I could gobble it up in one sitting. I do not hand out praise easily, so you can believe me when I tell you what a marvelous job Jeff Giles did with this book. It is what we dreamed of so many times before with other authors. I am astonished at how much time was devoted to the early years. I expected the book to be another venue in which to pimp Todd and Blair et al. I was proven wrong. I love the candor of actors...finally!

Julie Montogomery on producer Joe Stuart: He was horrifying.

Erika Slezak on George Reinholt: George left screaming down the hall, "This show will be off the air in three months." Bye, George. In those days, he was crazy

Ellen Holly on Jacquie Courtney: The only way you could tell which was the evil Jacquie was by who was wearing the wig.

Erika Slezak on Arthur Burghardt: He thought he was this big, hot [!@#$%^&*] guy.

Producer Don Wallace on Agnes Nixon: She hates writers.

I love it!

• Members

I thought it glossed a bit over the interregnum years post-Malone and pre-Carlivati, and I would've liked a bit more on the state of the show near the end, the Todds, etc. - I also thought it was a pity Susan Haskell wasn't interviewed, along with Florencia Lozano. But overall it is just a fantastic read. So much is in there.

Burghardt sounds like a nightmare, but his comments about Holly's complaints vs. his generation years before hit hard.

• Members

This is also exactly right, from Tim Stickney - it's what I was saying years and years ago, when they decided the only answer to any diversity issue on the show was Antonio and Cristian all day everyday. The reasoning was obvious. (And I was pissed when they had him as a father to a grown woman, too.)

Also an amusing aside about the dreadful Tobias Truvillion (Vincent) when he discusses Sean Ringgold. I also remember the dreadful "passing the torch" scenes he mentions, and I was livid at the time:

• Members

I appreciate his candor. It was pretty obvious by the mid-90s ABC had decided black characters were superfluous and pointless. Why am I not surprised they met this conclusion through focus groups.

So the guy who played Vincent just phoned it in and that's why they got rid of him?

• Members

You can download a free kindle player for your computer through Amazon--that's what I did.

However, I'm gonna order a print edition at 14 bucks--frustratingly you have to use Createspace which is Amazon's sister site that produces on demand paperback books, CDs and DVDs. from his fb page it sounds like the author doesn't have--and probably won't have an official print publisher, so you're not gonna find it cheap in stores....

• Members

I bought this and I like the he said/she said parts. There is sequence a bit in where Ellen Holly has a problem with a producer because she liked the previous producer and then has a problem with the casting of the actor, and then they go interview the actor about it. It sounds like the studio of the early 1970s was a wonderful place, almost a repertory theater atmosphere.

• Members

I WANNA READ THIS!

Also, do they interview Andrea Evans at all during the book? I would love to hear about her comments.........I'm curious if Ellen Holly had anything to say about her, since Tina's story was front and center when Holly was phased out of the show.....

• Members

I concur. Oral histories are wonderful because you are blessed with both sides of the same story and can decide for yourself how much, if any, you can believe from either side. I feel that the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. This provided me so much more insight into Ellen Holly's plight than her autobiography. Clearly, racism existed there, but as much as I detest Burghardt, I agree with him about Ellen's anger/paranoia. I seriously doubt Erika Slezak referred to Holly and Hayman as "those two black b--ches."

Archived