OLTL: Week Of July 8, 2013 Discussion

• Members
I know that JvD's Clint has long been written as somebody who is manipulative (but often well-meaning) but then comes crawling back for forgiveness. Was Clint Ritchie's Clint like this?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No CR Clint wasn't manipulative at all from what I remember- he was a Texas cowboy at heart, adopted her sons with Joe, worked at the paper with Viki not at BE, he supported her through a lot of DID craziness and took care of their kids & was particularly protective of Jessica. There could have been more layers than that as I'm too young for 80s Clint so anyone else can jump in but I think he was more the good guy type always.

What you described is more like Asa, Clint's father. He was a manipulator who could be downright ruthless but deeply loved his family. When JvD took over Clint, it had been several years since we had seen CR so he was able to put a new spin on the part and he began taking on more of that manipulative role when Asa was offscreen due to the actor's health and then really when Asa died. He's done very well with that in my opinion even though its occasionally jarring when I really think about the old Clint. The scene several weeks ago where Clint tells Matthew that despite their shortcomings Buchanans always take of their own and to man up and be a Buchanan was pure Asa. I loved it.

• Members

If he's one of your fave characters, shouldn't you know how he was written? :P (I think he was always written as pretty much the good guy--think Tom Cudahy on AMC--the type of leading male soaps seem to not do as much now.)

I enjoyed this week. LOL I don't have much to add, though I enjoyed the date and wanted it to go on a bit longer and Dani's character arc in the two episodes in general. Oh and I LOL at Dorian's funny little dance when she entered the Shelter stairs...

• Members

I think thats accurate- Cord/Tina/Max/Gabrielle was my mom's OLTL heyday and she always says she never got how Tina said "I take thee Cord" when she was marrying Max who was more fun and not boring. I think he was always the long-suffering white knight to Tina's antics and she did really love him & who she thought she could be with him. From what I remember in the 90s, he was very much the heroic, never do wrong, good dad who somewhat looked down to those who didn't fit in his high moral code- think later Ryan Lavery archetype but much much better written. I hated when he was trying to bring Blair on his straight and narrow path especially when she was dating him while striking up a friendship with Todd. I do think the show suffered though without any of those true-blue good guy types front-burner in later years. That seemed to happen to all of the ABC soaps. I loved that Cord & Tina finally got their happy ending. There was a silliness to it but with OLTL ending, it made me happy.

Dani, after kind of waffling following the OD, is really getting what seems to be a good arc now. I'm very excited to see what develops.

• Members

I actually want them to do a redux with Viki moving away from Clint because I am sick of the whole groveling aspect. Clint did the one awful thing to Nora, but other than that which I can see people being pissed about the rest is easily forgivable.

• Members

Yes the donor was Mitch all along, but Clint discovered that he was Rex's father when he found out that his bone marrow was the match for Shane's bone marrow transplant. Cassadine1991, did you listen to Michael Fairman's TOLN Blog Talk Radio show tonight, and do you know who's the next week's guest for that show is, and if that guest is from OLTL or not?

Archived