Antenna TV Thread

allmc2008

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ODAAT is getting a mother's day marathon. I should have expected that but didn't. They're doing eps from all throughout the show's run, so it'll be a great glimpse into the later seasons before we actually get there. I assume it's been doing well in the ratings to merit this sudden marathon (last I checked, TV Guide still has the regular schedule listed for that day). I'm looking forward to watching some of the later episodes.

The eps we're on now (towards the end of season 2; I believe we start S3 with tonight's second episode) are pretty good, but as always, the show is at its best when it's about Ann, the girls, and their relationships with each other, with some Schneider thrown in. The revolving door of hot 70s guys as Barbara and Julie's boyfriends is a plus. They tried very hard to make Ginny work, and she was okay, but I can see why Bonnie Franklin might have been upset. We got several Ginny-centric episodes that were just not needed, and it just took away from the general premise of the series. I liked her, but I'm glad to move past that particular era.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was able to watch a good bit of the Mother's Day marathon yesterday and the later episodes were actually pretty good, IMO! I was mainly interested in seeing how the dynamics changed with the more permanent male characters, and they seemed to fit in pretty well. I even liked Alex. He was a good example of the "Cousin Oliver" trope in that he was clearly added to bring back the Julie/Barbara dynamics, but they didn't force him on Barbara, who was maturing past the role that Julie had originally played. He was perfect as a double act with Schneider.

The most interesting thing was how Julie devolved into a complete hot mess, parallel to MP's real life activities. They really wrote her as the sister who just kept messing up over and over again. It's kinda jarring because they had her sorta mature over the course of seasons 1-3, but I guess she's starts to 180 in 4 and 5.

The cast really got big towards the end, jeez! The last ep I sorta watched was the beginning of the Julie's water tank baby two-parter, and almost every single one of the show's major characters were present that entire season. And they really got tacky with their opening credits later on, with the ugly picture-in-picture concept they had for a season or so. The panoramic view of Indianapolis is also very random.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

1. So, I was initially excited about watching ODAAT for the first time since I was a kid, but I just couldn't get into it this time around. Other than the initial wave of nostalgia (Schneider), the show didn't captivate me the same way that I was hoping that it would.

2. Out of all the shows they brought back this year, Newhart is the one that prefer. I keep hearing that The Bob Newhart Show is superior, but the 80s kid in me just can't see it for a show that doesn't include Queen Stephanie Vanderkellen. I'm about a month behind on the DVR and am up to the season 7 arc when Michael loses his job and this is the first time that he's growing on me--maybe because he's got something to do other than being Queen Stephanie's wet nap. Out of the recurring characters, I'm partial to Harley Esten (because, unlike George, he is actually dim) and Jim (the older dude that always throws out barbs with a smile).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
I think that's always the risk (and the danger) with any of Norman Lear's shows from the '70's. IMO, aside from the latter, less volatile seasons of AITF and "Good Times," they tend not to hold up well* -- not so much because of the sociopolitical content, but because they were written, directed and performed at a time when TV comedy still had some ways to go in terms of subtlety or sophistication. (Plus, it didn't hurt to have production of those two shows moved from CBS Television City to Metromedia Square. Although Bern Nadette Stanis and her screechy voice clearly didn't get the memo, the other actors seemed to get the idea they no longer had to shout to the rafters and gesticulate wildly in order to be seen and heard by the studio audience.)

*I won't include "The Jeffersons" since I think THEIR "renaissance" came as the decade was drawing to a close. Plus, I think their best episodes were when they, along with shows like "The Facts of Life" and "Silver Spoons," were originating from Universal City (thank you, Compact Video).

• Members

I would hurt the city of New Orleans if they ever screwed around with Antenna or ME. They are literally the classic TV channels we've been waiting for since Nick and Nite and TVLand changed their focus. For many, many years, we just accepted that there wouldn't be a place for old shows anymore, yet here we are.

Just for the love of god, I want to see some soaps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yup!

Did Evening Shade change their opening credits every episode? It's so random and I swear I saw the actor order change from one episode to the next. Last night, they aired the episode guest-starring Raquel Welch who looked EXQUISITE.

• Members

Yes! I haven't been watching it as much as I'd like to, bc I do enjoy it but its weekend time slot isn't really the best, but one of the first things I noticed was an episode where I believe all of the children were credited immediately after Burt. I thought it was odd but soon realized they changed it each episode.

Archived